How long did it take for you to be profitable in daytrading?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by profitplay, May 30, 2006.

How long did it take for you to be profitable in daytrading?

1. 1 month

25 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. 6 months

50 vote(s)
    15.1%
  3. 1 year

26 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. 2 years

22 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. 3 years

22 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. 4 years

11 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. 5 years

22 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. 6 years

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. 7 years+

21 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. I am still working on becoming profitable

127 vote(s)
    38.4%
  1. This Batman kid posted on another thread that he doesnt even trade and is still a student in school.

So of course a guy with zero trading experience who is probably under 22 yrs old knows that its just not possible to make money intraday. :D

#31     May 31, 2006
  2. Did not mean it as an insult. I meant its no surprise b/c I know I have much higher standards for a "good" life. Was born and raised in a wealthy community just outside San Diego. So for me, 200K a year is really nothing. I know its somewhat distorted view of reality. I have been consistently profitable for 5 years comfortably. And barring a disaster of epic proportions...will be very comfortable at the end of this year.

Sorry if I came off as insulting. Wish I could convince myself to move where the Cost of Living isn't so high. But those are the choices we make.

#32     May 31, 2006
  3. That explains it. The last time I really bothered posting on ET barring a couple one timers was a couple years ago when this whole board was convinced day trading was over. Got very tiring and quite boring. Some people only see their very narrow reality and convince themselves its the truth.

As summer approaches, hope I don't fall into an ET trap and start checking this site again. :D

#33     May 31, 2006

4. All your doing is down playing it.. your not giving any explanation that counts for anything? Do you realize that?

"YOU CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T DO IT"

thats means jack to me....

#34     May 31, 2006
  5. look, i'm not a trader, I've done a little simulation things before etc. but im not saying what I think. im saying from what I've seen .. and also from what i've heard from some successful pro traders.

if u actually do ur own research, you'd know urself that day trading is gambling. unless ur a market maker and always have a instrument range in stock.. that's how u make money. to be merely speculating on the intre-day movements without any holdings you're going no where. sure u may have some good days, but over time you're losing all ur money. there are 5% 'daytraders' that are apparently profitable over time. do u really think u're one of them?

the point is this, if u want to be a trader, trade like the professionals. that means not day-trading. again unless ur a market maker. successful day traders actuall mimick wot market makers do.

i don't see how my experience in trading has anything to do with it.

if u want to trade successfully, and make serious money, spend all ur energey looking at the longer term trends that actually make sense.

i didn't say don't daytrade. i just gave advice and don't want you guys to lose money. if people don't day trade, alot of 'people' won't be making money.

#35     May 31, 2006
  6. "look, i'm not a trader"....then please stop posting about trading. Its a little insulting to have some guy (you) tell me that I cant make money in a profession that I make money in. You are not there everyday, you have no idea what goes on so I suggest you open your eyes to reality and see that there are, indeed, many guys who make a good living (200K+) daytrading. I personally work with about 15 guys who make 6 figures daytrading. Of course not everyone makes money daytrading, but the same goes for longer term traders. Most of them lose all their money; some do extremely well.

Whats your point exactly? We all know daytrading is risky. Nothing new there. But please, stop making wild claims like this. You are an outsider to the trading world. You dont see me giving Kobe Bryant three point shooting lessons or Barry Bonds batting tips do you?

#36     May 31, 2006
  7. jho

jho

:eek: Holy $#!+ Batman :eek:

Batman - Saving the Gotham City day traders from blowing out their accounts.

Ugghh I don't even know where to start...

• bat.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    #37     May 31, 2006
  8. RFLMAO! :p

#38     May 31, 2006
  9. lol u guysss hahahaha.. som of u get so boiled up.. get a cold drink chill for god sakes. calm down..

i told u many times im just sayin wot i know it don't mean it's true calm down, im not insulting u.. why get angry? i dont get it. i wasnt bangin anyone lol i was just sayin wot ive read and heard, and if im wrong ok cool.

as far as im an outsider. I've been on IB trading floors, visited many market makers, have met very successful fund managers, and have read on the subject too. im not a trader, i dont have a cent to trade, and if i did i'd consider myself an investor. i know for sure SOME day traders make money over time. but the chances is so slim that I thought i point it out. i saw some votes that took them 7 years to be profitable. 7 yrs of their life wasted. and most likely they'll lose it on the 8th. im just given another point of view, if u can't handle it don't read it. if u're actually successful at day trading then say so, tel me how you've become successful wot's the trick.. u see all these banners on the net make money day trading, play poker bla bla bla.. only 5% people actually make money in this business. so I thought i point it out, because as far as it goes, the business is "Day trading" and if u aint profitable in ur first year, it's not for you. this is good advice. (for those who are successul, don't be offended).thanks.

#39     Jun 1, 2006
  10. Took me 2 years to become profitable and I now make 10-20k a month day trading no over nights and I know someone who took 4 years and he makes over a million swing trading. Everyones learning curve is different who are you to say give up after 1 year and 7 years is not a waist of your life if your learning what you love just like someone investing there money in college nothing comes over night Trading wasnt made to be easy and it will cost you some money and time to learn just like any other education. its always failed traders or people who know nothing of trading who make these comments.

#40     Jun 1, 2006