How long before you were fully automated?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by travis, Apr 18, 2009.

How long did it take you, since you started trading, to become fully automated?

1. 0 to <= 1 year

22 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. >1 year to <= 2 years

16 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. >2 years to <= 5 years

37 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. >5 years to <= 10 years

25 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. > 10 years

20 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. DT-waw

DT-waw

thank you. amish-traders? too funny :D

#31     Apr 20, 2009
  2. travis

travis

It sounds scary. Are we in danger of not being able to make any money any more if automated systems spread any more? And if yes, what should we do about it? Stop explaining things on forums maybe?

#32     Apr 20, 2009
  3. travis

travis

Well, the poll at the start of this thread says that for 5 people it took over 10 years to do it, and I am proud to be one of them, because when I was in school I was always failing math classes. (It took me 8 years to graduate from college because I couldn't pass the two math courses required).

If they told me in 1997 that it was going to take me over 10 years to start making money, I think I would not have started. But every year I (mistakenly) thought "next year, I'll be a millionaire". I've been thinking that for 12 years and it's kept me trying (it also kept me losing money for 10 years).

#33     Apr 20, 2009
  4. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Nah, no sweat! We are still a drop in a bucket! The game conditions might change but nobody can stop the game! Majority of market participants are still as dumb as they were 10 years ago. There are too many Amish-Traders around. Plenty to make a buck on them! Just take a look at ET! 5 - 6 good traders tops. The rest are the sheer entertainment! :D

#34     Apr 20, 2009
  5. travis

travis

Great news.

#35     Apr 20, 2009
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

there is also plenty, TONS of institutional "investing"/hedging totally inefficient, in many cases criminal - it generates income for these big firms from commissions or bid-ask spreads while their clients suffer losses with such happy-go-lucky, devil-may-care trading activities.

as long as people will trust brands known from TV screens or logos on skyscrapers or the fact that they operate for 100 years and thus are good for the client (yeah!) nothing will change and the public will always be separated from their money

#36     Apr 20, 2009
  7. Can you share some links to automated trading forums? If you don't want to do it here maybe you can send via pm. I would appreciate it as I just started to work on full automation of order entry and money management and I would like to get some good ideas about the tools they use.

#37     Apr 20, 2009
  8. yes, i'd also like to know of this forum of thousands of automated traders... pm if you'd like.

#38     Apr 20, 2009