How long before you can be called "consistently profitable" ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by prox, Dec 13, 2002.

1. prox

prox

Just wondering how many winning days, weeks or months worth that you guys would use as a benchmark before declaring your system consistently profitable. Thanks.

2. Depends on if you're planning on starting a website marketing your system. If so, your answer is two days.

3. I think once you've had 18 winning months in a row you can be confident of continued success.

4. prox

prox

But, any joe blow system can show 2 days in a row of profits with some trendy days.

5. That's the point. :)

Sorry, this didn't really help your thread. Are you interested in marketing your system or is this for your own edification?

6. qdz

qdz

I was profitable in every day for two weeks but it just took another two days for giving all my gain back. That's not consistent. I know what went wrong. Something changed.

:p

7. Personally, I have 2 criterias:

1. 80% of the days profitable for the past 3 months.
    2. You daily Profit/Loss Ratio is 2.0 and above.

8. Check your bank account.....you'll know

9. How about "Check you trading account... you'll know"

10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

The easiest way to "prove" your system is to back test it through several different kinds of business cycles. Bull market, bear market or yearly cycle sort of thing.
    TradeStation has backtesting and optimizing capabilities to test that way.
    However, your own prejudices and fears change your trades when you enter them yourself. So it is hard to find a meaningful backtesting result unless you automate your strategy.
    If you can make money in several types of cycles that means you are "consistantly profitable".
    Does this help?

#10     Dec 13, 2002