How logical is it to buy a very cheap home?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by fatrat, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Dude, move out to NJ and get a roommate for a year or two. Hell, for $800 you could get one bedroom in a beautiful 2BR, 2 bath in Summit, NJ or even in Jersey City. NYC is still going insane. There was just a piece in a local paper about stores in the UWS closing because their rents are going from $15K to $60K in one shot, how sick is that? It's becoming a place for only the rich. The taxes are going to have to increase dramatically, and Bloomberg is already hinting at it. I agree with Oldtrader and EMRGLOBAL, real estate is along way from a bottom, and a really long way in NYC. But I would rent for now, buying anywhere now is a BIG mistake, IMO.

#41     Sep 30, 2007
  2. Agyar

Agyar

If you just need a bed, why not go in with a bunch of other students and get a 3 bedroom place and cram 3 bunk beds in there? Rent split 6 ways, and you can get something closer to where you work and go to school.

(I don't know NYC well, so maybe this is a stupid idea.)

#42     Sep 30, 2007
  3. Where be they buy foods?

#43     Sep 30, 2007

4. I'd like to see everyone that rents simply LEAVE NY and leave the shysters holding a big fat empty bag 'o shite.

#44     Sep 30, 2007
  5. Paliz

Paliz

I agree, move to NJ, its cheaper, and hoboken is right across the water

#45     Oct 1, 2007
  6. #46     Oct 1, 2007
  7. non-rat traps are considerably higher now.

#47     Oct 1, 2007
  8. sim03

sim03

As if on cue, a long story in the Sunday Times: Even in New York, Affordable Apartments.

Talks about the sub-$200K market in Inwood, Riverdale, Forest Hills, Jackson Heights and Flatbush / Brooklyn College.

#48     Oct 1, 2007