How little capital could you make a living off?? ;)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by spanish89, Mar 10, 2009.

How low capital (All the money you have in the world as capital), could u make living

1. Could consistently do it and survive with under £1,000 capital.

7 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Could consistently do it and survive with betwen £1,000 - £10,000.

31 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Need minimum 10k, but could sustain making a living with under 30k

42 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Need over £30,000 capital to be able to do it.

80 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. thanks for the entertainment spanish. good thread. you seem to bring out the best in people.

#61     Mar 25, 2009
  2. bespoke

bespoke

You do realize that a lot of people made money during that time right? That doesn't necessarily mean they're good traders. Everybody at my firm made money then even the 1 month old trainees. Actually, I don't know a single person who didn't make money day trading then at my firm and others. But I can tell you they're hurtin now. So don't be so cocky kid.

My grandma was an awesome trader too.... well, during the tech bubble run up. She should come here and tell all of you how amazingly awesome she is and how she pwned NT everyday.

#62     Mar 25, 2009
  3. You do realize that spanish is a trading jesus right? so everything you said doesn't apply to him. He took 700 pounds and turned it into 30,000 pounds. So everybody that comes in here with their "can't do" attitude needs to consider who they are talking to

so in a way, spanish answered his own question. The smallest amount of capital you need to make a living is 1k

#63     Mar 25, 2009
  4. spanish89,

If you're making 300% on your investment you don't need another job and wouldn't be bored with trading because you could take off and do what you want when you want. How long have you been making 300%? If less then one year then come back and 3 or 5 and tell us your story. Good Luck to you!

#64     Mar 25, 2009
  5. dsq

dsq

this clown doesnt even trade...wtf is this thread doing here?this is just pure bs chit chat ...waste of bandwidth on a 19 yr old jerk troll with nothing to do...

#65     Mar 25, 2009
  6. spindr0

spindr0

Well this all sounds like riskfreetrading to me. I gotta mortgage my pampers box and sell my panhandling spot in front of the car wash and get into this get rich day trading ASAP!

#66     Mar 25, 2009
  7. Mr J

Mr J

Most people think it's an invitation to double their bets.

The 2% figure is generally a suggestion to risk no more than 2% on a trade, and I doubt most experienced traders risk that much. Risk-to-reward varies greatly from trader to trader. I've most often seen 1:1 thrown around as the minimum to shoot for.

I think many people are comparing apples and oranges. A comparison just can't be made between a longer term trader and say a scalper. The latter will have many, many more trades and should be expected to achieve a much higher return. I can't imagine any trader settling for 10%. A day trader can make than in a single trade by lucking onto a larger move, which frequently happens.

I've given a far more conservative earlier on about a day trader achieving 344% (10 trades per day, risking 0.5% per trade and making 10% of risk). Perhaps longer term trades are underestimating the volume of the shorter term traders.

#67     Mar 25, 2009
  8. toc

toc

$200 dollar one time investment, buy some pot and sell off and roll over the investments as many times ;-) :D

#68     Mar 25, 2009
  9. Trading with 1K is like jumping off a 4 story building. Sure there are a couple of people who managed to survive the jump, does it mean it should be the modus operandi of the rest?

As for operating capital, 50K is imho bare minimum to do ES without undue stress. 100K being an OK amount and 500K optimal amount to do this right.

Good luck!

#69     Mar 25, 2009
  10. spindr0

spindr0

Anything is possible but annual returns like that are not likely for most people. Sooner or later most people hit a losing stretch or a serious drawdown that eats up an awful lot of those small winners.

#70     Mar 26, 2009