How Life Imitates Chess - Garry Kasparov

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by qlai, May 18, 2019.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

F off!

Go is reversi but worse, being hard to code cause its just dropping counters on a board and forming 1 basic pattern endlessly.

Yes I've played it 5 times, mates thinks Go better aswell he'd been playing for years, kicked his ass all 5 games, first time i played.

Rubbish!

#11     May 18, 2019
  2. Overnight

Overnight

"The most important feature to win in Chess is you have to understand and analyze how your opponent thinks fairly quickly, once you understand his chain of thoughts, you have him... Vice versa, it's hard to counter and block someone out of thinking pattern, that's why I loved speed chess more. You have to be a machine in 5 minute games, where as without timers, pure intellect wins over thought process on a 40 minute span..."

You guys want a real trip? Play chess with yourself. It will scar you forever.

#12     May 18, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. I don't get it...

#13     May 18, 2019
  4. dozu888

dozu888

lol - word of advice... when you are not sure, better to stay silent instead of opening your mouth and remove all doubts lol.

#14     May 18, 2019
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Play chess against yourself. Put down the board, set up the pieces, and open with your white move. Then sit on the other side of the board, and play the black move. As you continue to play against yourself, it will melt your mind.

Try it at least once in your life. It is nutso.

#15     May 18, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

100% sure, GO is a stupid childs game, very poor strategy, Chess all the way!!

You obviously can't play chess, if you could you'd understand, how poor GO is!!

#16     May 18, 2019
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

I have, it's tricky to play both sides 100% and not cheat by making errors for 1 side or the other.

Sadly mate isnt on Facebook, I'd message him 29years on and sort out a game LOL

#17     May 18, 2019
  8. qlai

qlai

- Strategy -

The distinction between tactics and strategy will be important to us. Whereas strategy is abstract and based on long term goals, tactics are concrete and based on finding the best move right now. Tactics are conditional and opportunistic, all about threat and defense. As Sun Tzu wrote centuries ago, "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

If you play without long-term goals your decisions will become purely reactive and you will be playing your opponent's game, not yours. As you jump from one new thing to the next, you will be pulled off course, caught up in what's right in front of you instead of what you need to achieve.

"Why?" Turns tacticians into Strategists

"Why?" is the question that separates visionaries from functionaries, great Strategists from the tacticians. You must ask this question constantly if you understand and develop and follow your strategy.
    Every move has a consequence; every move either fits into your strategy or it doesn't. If you aren't questioning your moves constantly, you will lose to the player who is playing with a coherent plan.

A key to developing successful strategies is to be aware of your strengths and weaknesses, to know what you do well. Two strong players can have very different strategies in the same position and they might be equally effective.

My aggressive, dynamic style of play fits my strengths and my personality. Even when I am forced on the defensive, I am constantly looking for a chance to turn the tables and counterattack. And when I am on the offensive, I am not content to seek modest gains. Other players specialize in the accumulation of small advantages. They risk little and are content to slowly improve their position. But all these strategies - defensive, dynamic, maneuvering - can be highly effective in the hands of someone who understands them well.

Of course you don't become a world champion without being able to play in different styles when necessary. Sometimes you are forced to fight on unfamiliar terrain. The ability to adopt is critical to your success.

- A frequently Changed Strategy Is the Same as No Strategy -
    We all must walk a fine line between flexibility and consistency. A strategist must have faith in his strategy and courage to follow it through and still be open-minded enough to realize when change of course is required.

- Once you have a Strategy, Employing it is a Matter of Desire -

Finally we come to the hardest part of developing and emloying strategic thinking: the confidence to use it and the ability to stick to it consistently. Once you have your strategy down on paper, the real work begins. How do you stay on track, and how do you know when you have slipped away from thinking strategically?
    We stay on track with rigorous questioning of our results, both good and bad, and our ongoing decisions. During a game I question my moves, and after the game I question how accurate my evaluations we're in the heat of the battle. Were my decisions good ones? Was my strategy sound? If I won, was it due to luck or skill? When this system fails, or fails to operate quickly enough, disaster can strike.

In chess we see many cases of good strategy failing due to bad tactics and vice versa. Even more dangerous in the long run are the cases of bad strategy succeeding due to good tactics, or due to sheer good fortune. This is why it is so important to question success as vigorously as you question failure.
    Pablo Picasso nailed it when he said that "computers are useless. They only give you answers." Questions are what matter. Questions, and discovering the right ones, are the key to staying on course. Are our tactics, our day-to-day decisions, based on our long-term goals? The wave of information threatens to obscure strategy, to drown it in details and numbers, calculation and analysis, reaction and tactics. To have strong tactics we must have strong strategy on one side and accurate calculation (he is taking about ability to calculate chess moves here) on the other. Both requires seeing into the future.

#18     May 19, 2019
    comagnum and tommcginnis like this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

So you also have melted your brain. Good to know I'm not the only crazy fuck here. :)

#19     May 19, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. qlai

qlai

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do;
    Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do" - Tartakower

In chess we have the obligation to move; there is no option to skip a turn if you can't identify a direction that suits you. One of the great challenges of the game is how to make progress when there are no obvious moves, when action is required, not reaction. It is here that we find what separates pretenders from contenders.

The key to calculation (thinking through moves ahead) is understanding its limits. You have to recognize when you are leaving the realm of what can be confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt. At that point you have to fall back on more general considerations and your intuition. In any endeavor it can be fatal to believe you are absolutely sure when in fact the situation is too complex -- or the outcome too far away -- to be solved by calculation alone.

It's true that to be a great chess player you must have a good memory, but it is much harder to explain what, exactly, we are remembering. Patterns? Numbers? Mental pictures of the board and pieces? The answer seems to be "all of the above."

Rote memorization is far less important than the ability to recognize meaningful patterns. When we tackle a problem, we never start from scratch; we instinctively, even unconsciously, look for a past parallel. We work out the authenticity of the parallels and see if we can work out a similar recipe from these slightly different ingredients.

How often do you review your performance at the end of the day? What did you see, what did you learn? Did you observe or experience something new that's worth taking note of? Would you recognize that situation, that opportunity, that pattern, should it occur again?

I believe it's essential to push the boundaries and constantly widen the angle of the lens we use to view the world. One crucial way to do that is through what I call creative experimentation.

-- Developing the Habit of Imagination --

Fantasy isn't something you can turn on with the flip of a switch. The key is to indulge it as often as you can to encourage the habit, to allow your unconventional side to flourish. It's not about being an inventor, with an occasional flash of creativity, but about being innovative in your decision-making all the time.
    Fantasy must be backed up by sober evaluation and calculation or you spend your life making beautiful blunders.

Too often we quickly discard apparently outlandish ideas and solutions, especially in areas where the known methods have been in place for a long time. The failure to think creatively is as much self-imposed as it is imposed by the parameters of our jobs and of our lives. "What if?" often leads to "Why not?" and at that point we must summon our courage and find out.
    The more you experiment, the more successful your experiments will be. Break your routines, even to the point of changing ones you are happy with to see if you can find new and better methods.

On more than one occasion he [teacher - Botvinnik] chided me for committing this same sin of blind emulation [of doing what other Grandmasters did in same situation]. The great teacher insisted that his students recognize the rationale behind every move. As a result, all of us learned to become great skeptics, even of the moves of the best players. We would discover a powerful idea behind each Grandmaster move, but we also found improvements. We studied, we questioned, we grappled with the idea behind a series of moves, and eventually we could build our understanding and create more and better strategies.

If you can learn to accept criticism and invite people to present new information - particularly that which may contradict an idea or practice that you hold dear - you will quickly learn to adopt new and potentially powerful methods into your game plan. Learn to see value in other methods and take what you need from them to improve - but not necessarily replace - your own.

#20     May 21, 2019