How is Newport Beach?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Sell 'em, Oct 13, 2009.

1. new$

new$

I used to live in apts next to Fashion Island on the east side. This was 12-15 yrs ago, but they were actually detached townhouses with garage on ground floor, quiet, well managed. Seems like they were gated, but I don’t remember the name.
    Fashion Island is a shopping center.
    If you are looking for Christian schools, I would start with Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa.
    As you probably know, it’s cooler than Hi, but you don’t get rock-fever either. The best weather in the world in the summer; 20M homes w/o AC.
    If you are not required to reside in NB for the job I would consider south at Dana Point to buy.
    Good luck.

:) :)

#11     Oct 13, 2009
  2. check out San Juan Capistrano and Capistrano Beach..
    wonderful area.

#12     Oct 13, 2009
  3. second that.

#13     Oct 13, 2009
  4. Mike21

Mike21

I lived in Newport Beach for years. Now I'm a little bit south in Dana Point.

There's a reason it's expensive... it's a great place to live. Good weather, low humidity, no bugs.

I walk on the beach almost every day... great stress relief after a day of trading. In the winter I'll take a day off and head to the local mountains for skiing.

The traffic is a mess, but I trade from home so not a problem.

If you can afford it... go for it.

~Mike

#14     Oct 13, 2009
  5. the beautiful places of the world are all reserved for the ones who can, otherwise they would become cesspools of human waste like everywhere else.

ever been to sao paulo or mumbai?

visit and then tell me what you think of where you live now...

#15     Oct 13, 2009
  6. maxpi

maxpi

I used to take the travel trailer to the campground at the Back Bay.. what a nice place.. we'd rent a sailboat or a canoe and walk around on Balboa Island... my wife said if we moved to Balboa Island she would be in heaven.. trying to get a campsite on the water on the Fourth of July requires reservations way, way in advance. The fireworks display reflects off the water and it's fantastic.. some world class fireworks photos are taken from there... I've seen some in print actually...

Watch out for the Mercedes drivers, they were real bastards when I was there, every single time... I'm not kidding, they have it in for pedestrians, just because the walk thingy is saying it's ok to go doesn't mean much, if they want to make their left turn or whatever they will do it... I've practically had my toes run over just for stepping off a curb and other things happened.... they pissed me off so bad I wanted to carry a piece at times but I settled for pepper spray.. Sometimes I think about going there with a movie camera and a baby buggy and see how many of them I can get to run over the buggy and put it up on youtube...

#16     Oct 13, 2009
  7. Doing more research last night, getting more comfortable. The office would be near John Wayne Airport on the UC Irvine side. So I guess the office is just as much in Irvine as it is Newport Beach.

Seems the Irvine public schools are decent. They look about a 45/40 mix between Asians and Caucasians - since my kids are mixed that would be good. Not to be racist, but my Amer-Asian kids have never lived or gone to school in America, so their school experience is important to us.

Weather sounds great. Hope traffic isn't THAT bad. Where we've lived for the past decade, we've only owned a car for ~1yr, and that was because a friend repatriated and sold it to us for a song. So we are not keen on long commutes, at least early on. We're a bit citified, but looking forward to a quality of life improvement.

Moreover, the wife is looking at going back to school - she is talking about Nursing ... so just thinking proximity to UCI makes sense? Irvine looks a decent fit between work/school locations. After being out of country for a decade, OC looks like a decent place to finally plant some roots. I've lived for extended periods in Hawaii and Monterey, so OC has some appeal. Right now I'm thinking we would begin by renting in Irvine and spend the first 12-18 months exploring the greater OC in search of our ideal place to buy/settle.

Well, I still need to secure an offer, but I'm reasonably optimistic as the opportunity is kind of niche. We'll see how it goes next week.

Appreciate the input - thanks!

#17     Oct 13, 2009
  8. All of Irvine is nice and cookie cutter housing. Diversity don't think so.

#18     Oct 13, 2009
  9. maxpi

maxpi

...lots of electronics industry jobs in Irvine when the economy is good...

#19     Oct 14, 2009
  10. new$

new$

#20     Oct 14, 2009