How is Jim Rogers so smart?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by simon1080, Sep 17, 2008.

1. He has spent hundreds of millions to promote his collectivist, statist ideals, the so-called "open society." Here is some anti-freedom nonsense of his:

"I consider the threat from the laissez-faire side more potent today than the threat from totalitarian ideologies."

"People must be free to think and act, subject only to limits imposed by the common interests."

"Unless it is tempered by the recognition of a common interest that ought to take precedence over particular interests, our present system--which, however imperfect, qualifies as an open society--is liable to break down."

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/soros.htm

I don't know if he is a "hideous person on the inside," but definitely an enemy of personal and economic freedom.

#41     Sep 18, 2008
  2. I've done some research on Jim (not extensive, but after so many books, investment biker, ad capitalist, youtube videos, old interviews), it's not hard to paint a picture.

Why is he so smart?

-He's willing to buy or sell anything. Total flexability (recently buying taiwan). He's not limited to only US stocks or only big cap.

-Not afraid to buy when it's unpopular. I.e. a commodity fund in 99 when everyone was giggling over dot coms. Most investors don't have the stomach to be that far from the mainstream. Or they flip flop around.

-Doesn't believe in garbage taught in b schools. Notice in all his interviews, he doesn't use big words, or greek symbols. Doesn't rely on math or quack formulas.

Basically, does the exact opposite of everyone. And if "everyone" is losing money, breaking even, he's at the other end collecting money.

He also has the experience factor, he's seen cycles young traders haven't. When they're praying/wishful thinking, he calls it for what it really is (i.e. c's, fnm's collapse).

Also...big factor...admits what he doesnt know. All these guys interview him about commodites and are obsessed about details, like where is oil going to in 6 months, or what price is gold going to. They all crave this false precision. And there's a bunch of other factors. He obliterates all of them.

He and Buffett see a much bigger cycle.

#42     Sep 24, 2008
  3. cokezero

cokezero

Please note that for the size of their trading they have to be "too early"... The only way Buffett can get out of his position is to sell "too early" into the frantic crowd and the unload process alone can take many months. 6 months time frame is very very accurate for their size of his trading. It's like the average guy can park his bike within a few inches mark and Buffett/Rogers can park within a foot only that they're sailing an ocean liner.

#43     Sep 24, 2008
  4. zdreg

zdreg

buffett is already up 437 million on goldman position. it only took 1 day this time.

#44     Sep 24, 2008
  5. LMAO

rogers is a long term bozo, that is, his calls span multiple centuries and during its course could go several hundreds percent against him. but he is always right... fuckit. this is absolutely hilarious.

#45     Sep 24, 2008
  6. zdreg

zdreg

rogers is a long term bozo? his investment calls are not centurys long. they usually a lt cycle call. eg. commodity 20 years etc.some people laugh all the way to the bank.

next time present a chart which covers a reasonable period of time.
    I am sure rogers can use his profits from shorting fre and fnm and c to buy more china stocks.

#46     Sep 24, 2008
  7. Rimping

Rimping

Did you read this book?
    In it he says: "Jumping on the bandwagon-especially one this big- has never been my style."
    "we may even see a dramatic correction, we need to prepare ourselves for long-term opportunities, of which there will be many."

#47     Sep 24, 2008

8. what a triviality.

china is going to grow economically in the next decades due to their cheap labour, laissez faire policies and immense resources. whats the point of writing a book on this when everybody knows about it? does he have any special skill or experience other than bashing everybody else for the purpose of self-aggrandizement? i dont think so.

fre fnm c was right yeah. like making predictions all time here on et. some of them will come true. roll the dice.

this guy is nuts and serves the purpose of schizo traders out there that see in him as a role model to their wonderland fantasies.

if he was that good, he wouldnt left quantum fund in the beginning, only to let go a huge windfall in the coming decades. what a loser.

the guy comes to national tv and bashes the country elite, when his major accomplishment is traveling across the world in a modified SLK convertible.

with all due respect, what a bozo.

#48     Sep 24, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Did he just say "buy the dips"? Where have I heard that before...

#49     Sep 24, 2008
  10. zdreg

zdreg

he cannot be a model to traders. he is not a trader but a lt investor.

re:soros
    in life u always leave something often alot on the table. he has made alot of money after the quantum days and has had alot of fun.
    soros is not exactly the nicest guy. I suspect he has no regrets.

#50     Sep 24, 2008