How is drive-letter assignment determined with an Asus P9X79 WS motherboard, or isn't

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J.P., Jan 9, 2013.

1. dom993

dom993

I beg to differ :) ... I suggest doing a weekly backup of your C: partition (again, using Macrium Reflect - this can be done automatically, without having to ever think about it), learn how to restore it to a blank HD (possibly the old SSD) ... this way, there is minimal loss when you have to replace the main SSD.

Anyway, that's how I do it ... of course, I have a backup trading PC which I keep current (and to be clear, my automated trading is on a hosted VM, I have locally a R&D PC and a backup trading PC, the backup trading PC is "old" and just have a RAID1 array, the R&D PC has a single SSD for system and a RAID1 array for everything else - including those backups from the SSD).

#11     Jan 10, 2013
  2. Sure. But recovery takes time. 1 hour. That's how long it took me to use Acronis to recover the image backup from an external USB drive to my SSD C drive, about 110 GB size. Restoring to a blank or not blank is not going to speed it up.

If you have a "spare" bootable Windows drive with some trading app, you can boot it in minutes.

Good for anybody if you have more than 1 PC that you can trade from.

#12     Jan 10, 2013