How interconnected are markets

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by 931, Nov 24, 2016.

1. 931

How interconnected are forex or stock markets?

How big are gaps between known correlatations and spreads?

Can multiple different instruments hold some info leading to potential future correlation greater than spread for targeting specific instrument?

2. CBC

CBC

Stock futures, which is comprised in the index, are very connected. Bad open in Europe index futues and the SPX future (ES) normally will follow.

Forex isn't very connected. It bounces around all over the place. The only thing connected in Forex is the base currency. Technically it trades against say 20 currencies (its more) and this is 20 different instruments however it will produce the same graphs. Because any differences will get arbed out by mega bank super computers. :cool:

931 likes this.
  3. CBC

CBC

Sori I meant over short term charts for FX base currency.

4. A_B

A_B

See the picture: Dow Jones, Crude oil, EUR/USD, Gold. Time frame 30 second
    YM CL GC 6E Correlation 30s 5.png

931 likes this.
  5. 931

Forex correlations appear to change alot troughout time , some reach 95%+ but most seem more loose.
    Could there be some room for regular market participants with regular computers also or all oppertunity scalped away with rigged systems?
    In this sample the correlations look very strong.
    What factors can cause it to look like this?
    If feeding algo with multiple instruments is there some hope for finding relevent info for targeting specific instrument?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. Yesterday, I was looking at USD/CAD and WTI. I noticed that the currency pair is going to be break on the upside because it had good bullish momentum. That implies that oil should be shorted.

But something funny happened ...........Oil retraced more than half the bearish move!

That's when I analyzed both usd/cad and oil and decided that if the current price does not hold, then there is a large bearish movement about to happen and if it does hold, there will be no bullish move because the overall trend for that day is downwards. So, I shorted oil after looking at a few candles. I turned out right.

Markets are correlated but not in a way most people think. The relationships are complicated.

931 likes this.
  7. Trader13

Trader13

Correlation is a useful analysis technique but it isn't a trading strategy by itself.

8. Alot of things are correlated or interrelated or somewhat predictable -- you'll notice or pickup these subtle things by just observing the market for a really long time...and with an open mind too;
    [​IMG]
    o_O:wtf:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    931 likes this.
  9. toc

toc

Inter connectedness is one thing but is also not guaranteed. That's why many a times strong solid structures, price patterns etc. suddenly crumble and market goes in the other direction.

My conclusion is that markets are both systematic and random. Hence one cannot win all the time. Takes us all back to the old saying about the markets..........There is no Holy Grail.

Cheers!

comagnum and 931 like this.
  10. John Murphy; Intermarket Analysis : profiting from global market relationships. Some good examples, old book get it used low price good info

#10     Nov 27, 2016