How important is Computer Programming...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nelson1980, Apr 30, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

Not a prerequisite for trading.

But, at the risk of sounding elitist, it should be part of every educated persons "tool in the toolbox," and it can help in trading.

nitro

#11     May 1, 2003
  2. Isn't it amazing that people were even able to trade, and make money before computers.

#12     May 1, 2003
  3. I have wondered this too. The 70's and early 80's must have been a playground for people with access to computers (and time to operate on punchcards or an apple II).

#13     May 1, 2003
  4. corvus

corvus

I was 6 in 1982, I had a computer, and I wasn't making shit in the markets...

#14     May 1, 2003
  5. In my view, computer programming is icing on the cake but is not strictly necessary (with the exception of complex derivatives strategies)...

#15     May 1, 2003
  6. The engineer programmer I employed to program my stuffs - I'm too bad at programming myself - still don't even know what a trend is so don't confound the two :p

If you don't understand the specificity of market all you can do will be to tweak with millions of possible combinations of mathematical indicators, filters etc. that will give you the impression of being creative but can just be vain. When you think you have discovered something big chance you have overoptimised and don't take into account market context.

So learn and TRADE the market several months at least to learn the inner personnality of market. Then after you could PERHAPS tweak something good. But in my opinion this is just a loss of time, it is better to study something that works than trying to create something except if you have something really revolutionnary.

#16     May 1, 2003