How I'm Trading the Volatility: Live trades (Jan)

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by KCalhoun, Oct 14, 2020.

1. %%
    I thought my SPYG position would be profitable early today/actually down ,3.83%;
    but spxs swing is doing better than I thought,up>7.777%.Instead of adding to that/may do spxu/no commissions make that ok...…………………………………………………………...9;02cst/almost daylight savings trime.

#61     Oct 30, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

winner! just tightened trail stops 11:10am

weight:
    $22k
    1500 shares

fdly30octa.jpg fdly30octb.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    #62     Oct 30, 2020
  3. %%
    I almost pulled the trigger on sqqq; but have been trading TECS more this year, so building a TECS position.
    NOV tends to mavbe a good tech correction by NOV-16/even if its more notable on spy/,dow, history.
    TECL/xlk used to beat tqqq/qqq, but this year its tqqq/sqqq/qqq .
    SPXS profits ride.
    PTS/parabolic time stop is $5.76, on 5 hour charts/spxs.
    Good; I got in about the same price you did=$5.54/spxs...……………………………………………………………………………………………..[20 period ma on 5 hour chart =$5.59/spxs] DRIP is uptrending well also.Gasoline stations still lowering bids today.
    Re entered ERY again @ lower price than I sold it @ profit this week.
    WOW/qqq is down>5% 10;41,cst

#63     Oct 30, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  4. %%
    I thought he had his positions + then printed it/maybe you know more than me...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#64     Oct 30, 2020
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I lightened up a bit but am holding most positions into the weekend, because price action is up strongly especially SQQQ TZA SPXS SDOW.

Bearish weights on market:
    • Democrats ftt and other bs taxes if Biden Kamala Pelosi win
    • Coronavirus economic impact will snowball ; unemployment etc
    • Tech earnings
    Go bears! We're at recent s&p support level.

I expect minor fed stim progress and post election bull trap bounces next week followed by epic Nov selling.

#65     Oct 30, 2020
    JesseJamesFinn1 likes this.
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Anyone else trading inverses? Post your ideas, strategies for next week.... thx!

#66     Oct 31, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Hey there, I just found your thread. I'm a long time reader of ZeroHedge but new to trading. The subject has never interested me before because I'm not really into gambling, especially in a rigged house, but now I want to take advantage of my knowledge of politics and such gained over the years to make some money in this volatile market.

I saw there would be a significant downturn the week before the election and have been waiting to invest in certain gold mining ETFs when the price is right. In the mean time I just learned about the existence of VXX and other volatility ETNs and thought that would be a good idea to jump into right now, to take advantage of the sure-to-be heavy volatility next week.

Now I just discovered your thread, which is like a gold mine of info. Thanks for posting all of this. I'm on the same trading platform, starting with $500 and looking to grow quickly.

I'm a noob trader, but I do possess some useful knowledge. I know for example, with 100% certainty, that Trump wins the election, and the R's will likely take Congress also. I also know they will play us every step of the way, keeping people in fear thinking Biden's gonna win it. It will likely end up going to the Supreme Court. Needless to say, there will be plenty of fear and uncertainty during the next month or so. That's what lead me to discovering VXX and now your thread.

I see you are not in VXX, and I guess that's because you want the extra leverage of these other ETNs. Or is there some other reason? I want the leverage also, and reading your thread seems to confirm my gut instinct on the market movement, so I'm about to buy SQQQ, TZA, SPXS, SDOW, if you don't see any reason why I shouldn't!

Have a great day...

#67     Oct 31, 2020
  8. On the subject of ideas for next week: I read a comment from someone who said that on the stocks he's following, the 3:00 ramp on Friday was bigger and more obvious than usual. I noticed that also on some stocks I'm watching. I interpret this to mean a selloff is coming on Monday.

#68     Oct 31, 2020
  9. Been doing a lot of reading on these ETFs. What a fascinating world of possibility. Looks like these ETFs you are trading are straight bear funds, so based on market decline and not volatility, unlike the one I was looking at earlier, VXX. Actually that does seem exactly like what I need to be into for Monday; I think much of the initial volatility of this part of the decline has subsided and there is more of a general bear mindset developing, which could contribute to a large slide on Monday. I'm starting to see more and more articles coming out with titles like Schiff's "Every Bubble Finds Its Pin." Seems like people will be reading and soaking up such articles this weekend, and between that and the election, flu virus, etc, it won't be bullish. I don't see how in the world the market could rise on Monday.

#69     Oct 31, 2020
  10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I trade these because I am very experienced. They are extremely risky and not designed for inexperienced traders. I do not make recommendations per compliance regs, though I do publish my lessons learned.

Anything can happen re bullish vs bearish direction, I personally prefer to react to specific price action signals vs predicting.

I believe it is important to gain years of experience trading traditional stocks and ETFs prior to even considering trading risky leveraged products. That's something a trader could ask their investment advisor about.

I used to trade VXX long ago, then TVIX and now UVXY. These are highly unpredictable.

#70     Oct 31, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.