How I lost 10 grand to IB popups

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by trade2live, Feb 16, 2010.

1. I've traded futures, options, and stocks with IB for the better part of 10 years. When I send a marketable futures order, my fills typically come back before my finger is off the mouse. And, happily, the TWS platform now has all the features I so hankered for at the beginning.

#11     Feb 16, 2010
  2. the1

the1

I would not touch a platform for trading futures that didn't have a "trade out" or "get flat" button. This would have solved the OP's problems.

#12     Feb 16, 2010
  3. No I don't think so, I would hope an electronic broker has a duty to provide a reliable platform that comes without this kind of traps, this popup window only appears when you use the close position function, not with a regular order, you are not supposed to know every damn possible outcome of every manipulation you make before you trade. Even their helpdesk doesn't know, one of them gave me instructions that were wrong on placing a combo order and I lost money when I followed them, .
    And the stops anyway were mostl likely technical failures on their side.

ow I am starting to wonder if those popups are not a way to flash trade ahead of the customer. I can't see the reason for them .

#13     Feb 16, 2010
  4. OEC platform has one click Exit button and I like it...

#14     Feb 16, 2010
  5. Sure, blame your inability to trade on the firm's software!
    That will get you far in an arbitration case, they will laugh at you mate.

#15     Feb 16, 2010
  6. lescor

lescor

Pop up order confirmations are a feature you can turn off under configuration settings. So how is it IB's fault that you trade without knowing how the software works?

#16     Feb 16, 2010
  7. Exactly...

This is a software config. issue - not an issue with IB execution. Even if it were an issue with IB execution, I suggest you read the disclosures very carefully.

I happen to know a few good HF/securities attorneys, and, no, *trust me*, you do not have a case.

But, if you're so inclined, go ahead and throw more good money after bad by chasing this down with an ignorant attorney. I'm sure there are a few gullible lawyers who would be happy to milk you for your money.

#17     Feb 16, 2010
  8. Wow, you're just a bundle of comedy. I'm wondering how in the world were you able to even fund your account, as it's hard to accept that someone of your intelligence could ever scrap together two cents, let alone over $10k.

If you had ever traded before, you would know that you have to learn the software and set the configuration to fit your trading. You also run it on Demo mode, so that this way you can catch what needs to be adjusted to fit your trading style.

It's truly sad that you actually believe IB owes you any money.

#18     Feb 16, 2010
  9. Mvic

Mvic

I bought a power saw today. I flipped a switch on it that was in roughly the same place as my last one and next thing I know I had cut off my hand. Now that I am in hospital recovering I have time to read the instructions and it turns out that switch didn't have the same function as on my last machine.

I am sure you can see how the power saw manufacturer was grossly negligent in not tailoring my new saw to me based on the old tool I used to use. I think I have hit the tort jackpot!

#19     Feb 16, 2010
  10. There trading platform is the pits. I use them because I can trade everything from one account.

#20     Feb 16, 2010