How high is your overhead every month?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by youngtrader, Oct 25, 2009.

1. I would like to know how much you guys spend on overhead on average a month? This includes exchange membership leases, internet connection, software, etc. Im talking just the bare bones here. Please don't include news feeds, commentary/research services, etc. I am more concerned with your total overhead regarding membership lease, internet connection and software.

Also what do most of you use for internet connection? I am not a tech geek at all so literally know nothing on the subject. What in your opinion is the fastest and most reliable internet connection to use that is available literally anywhere?

Thanks!

2. Many messageboard traders say that you need a super high speed line which is not true. All you need is a somewhat reliable broadband connection that is readily available from the phone or cable company. In fact, many people traded successfully using 56k baud modems back in the 90s.

Any cable company will give you a connection that is fast enough. The problem in my household is the power goes out about once every 3-6 months and the cable line is somehow hooked up to the power in the household. The cable too will sometime go down on a rare occasion.

So it might be a good idea to get a backup dsl line that will be slower then the cable line, but fast enough for an emergency OR it might be a good idea just to use the DSL line as the primary for the trading computer. I believe the power to the phone lines is seperate and my phone has always worked during blackouts.

Another idea is to identify backup internet sites should the power or lines go down in your house. I have identified a Dunkin Donuts with internet connection where I can take my computer in the event of such a situation. Now its not ideal to be trading at establishments like this with a laptop wireless connection (and certainly not secure), but in an emergency situation, its better then nothing.