How Have Properly Backtested Systems Failed In Actual Trading?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by magicwords, Apr 27, 2008.

1. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

So? :cool:

#11     May 6, 2008
  2. All profitable systems exploit some market inefficiency (mis-pricing on a shorter or longer time frame). At least that's how I look at it.

That basic inefficiency might get arb'ed out, diminish or somehow manifest itself differently. Small examples include moving to decimals, ECNs, dimished influence of the NYSE etc.

The only system I've traded unmodified since 1998 is a long term S&P trend following systems. All my day-trading systems I've had to adapt, change or re-implement as the markets have changed. Also, we hopefully learn as time goes on, and find better and more general ways to express the core concepts.

#12     May 6, 2008
  3. Gyles

Gyles

In order to trade, you need to have control over your emotions plus have a system that gives reliable results at all times. I have done the back testing of a number of softwares at the following thread:

Getting Started Developing and Trading System

I have realized that “If you have a losing system, no matter what your trading strategies are, you shall lose out in trading; and at the same time, you can lose out if you do not know how to handle a winning system”. Thus, it depends on the person and the system he/she is trading with.

#13     May 6, 2008
  4. Please define:

What do you mean by this? Please explain.

How should a trader who only has a system that gives reliable results some of the time trade?

#14     May 6, 2008
  5. Gyles

Gyles

My question is:

What do you mean by "a system that gives reliable results some of the time?"

Is the system profitable in the long term or not?

#15     May 8, 2008
  6. Holy Grail: A system profitable all of the time- trend, chop and panic; without need for system change in any market condition; able to take a trader to retired status before the trader's next birthday.

#16     May 22, 2008