How hard is Forex?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by 892king, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Yeah man it was a real bitch, I clicked the Buy when I should have clicked the Sell, damn those buttons are so close together, anyway bang went my five bucks! Damn my mom will kill me.

.....oh sorry, were you trying to troll? Go on, have another try :p

#11     Apr 2, 2009

2. Straight to bed, both of you!
    Cable, you know you've got NFP tomorrow.
    Krull (isn't that a comic character?), I'm sure you've got some exam to study for. Prostate, perhaps?

#12     Apr 2, 2009
  3. LOLOL

Oh yes, I forgot about NFP!

Hey Krull man, sub me a few bucks, I think I can make a killing (I just gotta get those freakin buttons right...Buy is UP, Sell is DOWN....got it!)

#13     Apr 2, 2009
  4. 5of7

5of7

Sadly, it's true. I started trading Futures, and actually did make money day trading.

But being the ADD Challenged, Emotional Overachiever, uh, I meant to say, Emotional Overtrader...

... morning profits, would be eaten up by ghost signals that were created by a mind-numbed bored mind by afternoon. And lots of them.

My broker loved me, my banker... uh, not so much. My wife, that's a whole 'nother post : - )

The point of this content-lacking meaningless rant is that autotrading literally saved my trading life.

It's something to consider. If you tend to be an over-analyzer when watching a moving screen, consider autotrading. Or at least consider system management (using other people's systems, and managing the equity curves.)

Start with Statistics For Dummies (me personally, I had to start with Statistics For Idiots, then upgrade later to the Dummies version, when I was less of an idiot that is.)

In the end, I can definitely say that there are profits in autotrading. How much, well that's down to your money-management : - )

5of7 @ TheCollectiveFX.com

#14     Apr 2, 2009
  5. I now place trades with stops and limits and turn the screen off and it has impacted my trading immensely for the better and I can have a life. I just trust my analysis and keep my overanalysis from cutting my winners and placing stops too close.

#15     Apr 2, 2009
  6. ET member Reaver posted the same thing a few months ago, I think he went with attaching 10 pound weights to his micro pecker and he was happy with the results.

--------

#16     Apr 5, 2009
  7. Oh that was just so funny, prepubescent toilet humor is great isn't it! I'm not so sure you have a future on stage though so it might be best to keep flippin' those burgers for now!

How about this one......I'd sooner have a small pecker than be a big prick!

Have a great day :D

#17     Apr 6, 2009
  8. usd2000

usd2000

Sometimes I think Forex is very easy, sometimes I think Forex is very hard.

#18     Apr 12, 2009
  9. irish88

irish88

hi,

I can honestly say at the moment that fx is incredibly difficult to trade. i have traded proprietary spot fx for the last 8 years for a bank and seen a lot of changes in the market in that time. I day trade looking for intraday trends and movements and have access to a lot of systems including EBS Reuters 3000 and 3 bank platforms. Liquidity is non existent at the moment and I can only imagine how frustrating and incredibly difficult trading at home must be on retail platforms.
    Since the onset of the banking crisis a lot of hedge funds and real money have kept their money on the sidelines and the intrabank market is thin and messy and dominated by algorithmic trading platforms which chase liquidity around and look for stop losses. This results in the crazy volatility which we see everyday. Dont get me wrong there are loads of chacnes to get into the market everyday in every currency pair but the "easy money" days are long gone. While I am still making money it is getting harder everyday and looks like it will continue in that vein for the foreseeable future. If I were you I would keep my money in the bank and do something else with it.

Irish88

#19     Apr 19, 2009
  10. Hi Irish,

From my perspective (on retail and Currenex ECNs) I've seen a slightly different situation regarding liquidity. There was a huge lack of liquidity (and spread widening) last fall for a few months in the wake of the Lehman collapse. Since the beginning of '09 roughly, liquidity on my platforms has returned in spades (and spreads have come down to pre-crisis levels).

Now from a true interbank perspective (EBS) things might be quite a different story entirely. It's interesting that you note that volumes are down, aside from the liquidity-chasing platforms (presumably hedge funds?). The Greenwich report out last week noted a drop off in hedge fund FX volume, but an overall increase in FX volumes in '08. I'm trying to find the full report as I'd like to see if the data is broken out by month, and how steep the fall-off in volumes was in 3rd and 4th quarters.

#20     Apr 19, 2009