How good would you consider a trader is if they breakeven

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lasner, Sep 25, 2011.

1. lasner

lasner

I need to let my winners run more, I've been cutting them too short.

#11     Sep 25, 2011
  2. Redneck

Redneck

This post is counterintuitive – but think on it please

Holding a winner is uncertain, and hence uncomfortable

Holding a loser is certain, and comfortable (sick as that is)
    =================================================

You’ve resolved the latter…. Hold onto that – and work to resolve the first (via that plan I spoke about)

RN

#12     Sep 25, 2011
  3. lasner

lasner

Funny I think the opposite. Holding a loser is very uncomfortable, I cut losses very quickly. Sometimes I cut them too quickly --the losers eventually turn into winners

#13     Sep 25, 2011
  4. Redneck

Redneck

That is perfect - and exiting is appropriate - so long the reason for getting in has been invalidated

And you don't hold winners because - ?? (you fill in the blank)

RN

#14     Sep 25, 2011
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Cutting losers too quickly is a matter of learning, gaining experience, then refining your trading (where you set your stop)

Noting some losers eventually turn into winners - is hindsight trading - and will get you into trouble (a big ass loser) one day

My humble suggestion is to stop dwelling on what happened... and focus on what is happening

We never know which loser we should cut.. and which we should hold on to... inevitably the one we hold on to - will be the one that does the most damage to our account

experience talking here

Hindsight is always 20/20 - we don't have that luxury..., nor can we afford to be lulled into thinking we do

RN

#15     Sep 25, 2011
  6. he is a jerk off

#16     Sep 25, 2011
  7. wildshoe

wildshoe

i don't know man, i disagree with the others here. it's good you didn't lost your money because now you have a real chance to learn how to trade. but i don't get how it's even statistically possible to "Break even" after 2 years of trading in the markets we've had...

i mean whats the deal here, what time frame do you trade, or what? how it possible that you have broken even in such a volatile market?

if your'e trading on a 1 minute chart or less then i know why you're breaking even, and it's because you're probably getting outplayed by the algos, you'd probably have been profitable back in the day...

otherwise, you really need to ask yourself, if trading is right for you. 90% of the best traders burnt through their money eventually and learned painfully about risk control, they always knew how to let their profits run, you seem to be in the 10% that understands risk control from the get go but you don't know how to let your profits run. the problem is that your risk to reward here is flat 1:1, you're treating your profits like your losses.

if you had an employee who stole from you, and you had an employee who earned you $100 a month. .....according to the way you would trade, you would treat both of them equally...how illogical is that?

you are using risk-control strategies on your profits because you are scared...there's really no other way to explain how you could have broken even after 2 years

i mean, unless you are trading the EKG flatline of a dead person, then I don't see how it's even possible...

your trading is predominated by fear, you need to start "risking" your profits more, if you manage to grab 1 point and it looks like it's turning down, let it run till it breaks even....

let your profits run man...i don't know if you need wider stops, higher targets, or a better product to trade but you need more profits....that much is clear...

#17     Sep 25, 2011
  8. RobertG

RobertG

I think breaking even is great. Take a look at what prices do after you stop out: this will give you a chance to evaluate your stops.
    Look at prices do after you take a profit...do they extend much higher?
    Simple rules...watch for that.

#18     Sep 25, 2011
  9. lasner

lasner

I agree with you, that's what I said in my last post.

#19     Sep 25, 2011
  10. MDA21

MDA21

is there a way to confirm that a trader who claims to own a seat actually does?

#20     Sep 25, 2011