How good is the Windows XP built-in firewall?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Thunderdog, May 16, 2005.

1. FORGET Norton and McAfee firewalls. DON'T USE IT.

Either ZoneAlarm or Sygate is enough and MUCH MUCH BETTER.

You mention "older Windows software" but don't specify WHICH.

If you have an older Win98 box with slower CPU (Pentium-II) and RAM (96-128MB), then you need an older version of the firewall e.g. older Zonealarm which is "lighter" on your computers' resources.

This is a reason why I keep older versions of ZA around. For using it under latest versions of WinXPpro+SP2 and avoid conflicts, sure you'll need latest ZA. But for an older PC with Win98, just use older ZA (pm me if you need older versions).

As happend with most software, it becomes BLOATED with time, adding "usability" (helper screens etc) at the expense of speed.

Also, if memory serves, JTrader had delay problems when the CPU had some load. Do you use the MS Java VM (older JT) or the new one (which works with Sun's Java)?

I think best option, if you can afford the extra $50/mo, would be to use a 3rd party Win32 front-end which connects directly to PATS servers and not use the Java DOME. Just an opinion...

#11     May 16, 2005
  2. gnome

gnome

Well now, that's curious. I've installed SP2 a dozen times and use USB flash drives a lot. Never had that problem.

Did you check the BIOS? One of the settings is for USB=Off. Also, I found my Dells only like USB Emulation=Off.

#12     May 16, 2005
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

#13     May 16, 2005
  4. mokwit

mokwit

Use the SP1 firewall and a router. As I understand it MS firewall is fine for blocking incoming but does not block outgoing at all.
    Not going to tempt fate by saying here that I have had no problems. :).

Had problems previously with W2k and msblast.exe.

Tried Zonealarm and got driven crazy by it constantly requiring revalidation of already checked programs. Likewise gave up on installed antivirus years ago. Have backup HD and check periodically at e.g. Trend Micro housecall.

Don't visit certain categories of websites with trading PC. Email is routed through netaddress and ISP and thus their virus scanning.

#14     May 16, 2005
  5. Thank you for responding. At the moment, I am using Win98 SE on a P3 machine. Its extended warranty expired last October, and I expect to be getting a new notebook soon. However, everything is presently operating smoothly, so I have no need to upgrade immediately. As I noted, a router has circumvented my firewall software issue. I just wanted to know, going forward, if WinXP's firewall was sufficient and did not delay execution platforms. (Apparently, the coast is clear.) Although I plan to use a router when at home, I wanted to know if I would be protected when on the road because I would not have 3rd party firewall software. In any case, should any issues arise with XP's firewall (which is apparently unlikely based on a few of the earlier posts), then I can look into Sygate, which seems to be the only undisputed firewall software.

#15     May 17, 2005
  6. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

#16     May 17, 2005
  7. gnome

gnome

The notice mentions certain "controller/hub + high current" together and mentions "external HD" as "possible high current". That's likely the problem.

#17     May 17, 2005
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

probl solved
    for flash driver; delete USB root hub via devices manager, let it auto re-install then auto update driver for good measure.

for external HD, they provide a slot to draw extra power from other source, either from another USB port or mouse port, so I plug in the cable to get more power from the mouse port.

last note: I checked USB Emulation and it already in Off mode so I turn it on and since it is working I will leave it on, thnx guys. :)

#18     May 17, 2005
  9. gnome

gnome

As for USB Emulation... watch for trouble or slow booting if set to any other than OFF... My understanding it's a boot function... after boot, operates the same way whether set to OFF or ON. I've sometimes had trouble booting with flash drives plugged in unless the Emulation = Off.

#19     May 17, 2005
  10. windows sp2 firewall - it's ok, does the job, but be aware that it only blocks incoming connections.

does not hinder esignal or ib's performance in my experience.

#20     May 17, 2005