How good is IB's TRIN Index?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Nasdaq5048, Jun 19, 2006.

1. The TRIN on IB of the KOSPI futures looks pretty strange. There are days you get no data, and there are days the TRIN is below 0.5 on a down trend day.
    It seems to me they are kind of not very accurate. Is there anyone using IB's TRIN for foreign markets? or no one use IB's TRIN for foreign markets?
    Thanks!

2. john99

john99

What are KOSPI futures, and why would you want to trade them?

It sounds like the TRIN is messed up.

3. Anybody know what the symbol for TRIN is in IB? I am looking for US markets.

4. Hey Nas,

You might want to give IB a call and investigate the matter further. I was studying IB's Tick and Trin data for the markets that they cover when I was looking at doing some european/global trading (then I decided I would rather sleep), and believe me, there is no one operating on the retail level that supplies all of that information, for those marekts traded.

No one.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Jam

P.S. Quite often the NYSE TRIN (it's literally called TRIN, with whatever special notations your individual broker uses Emini) will be out-of-wack with the performance of the ES, and the same can definitely be said for the NQ's TRIN, as well as the fact that the two TRIN's can be saying two very different things while both markets are moving in lock-step, either UP or DOWN.

So as far as being a consistently reliable indicator, the TRIN a'int it. It's just another tool to measure buying/selling up/down volume.