how good IB fills?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by 2cents, Jun 14, 2006.

1. on the mini yes, but on the standard liquidity is plenty...volumes rocket on news release and there are plenty of traders with diff agendas movin' more than 100lots at a click. for what i experienced so far i have to say im pretty impressed from speed of execution...same quality as on high volumes stocks.
    of course am talkin' more about the most popular pairs like eur/$ or gbp/$.

#11     Jun 17, 2006
  2. sccz97

sccz97

I must admit I'm talking more about fx futures than any other fuures. I can provide everyone here with logs of prices of the most liquid fx futures around new releases. To think you can get 100 lots is fantasy. You're most likely to only get filled at a decent price on 6E and even there you'll be lucky to not get slipped if you're doing more than 10 lots. With 100 lots, even when the mkt is quiet you'll def not get filled at one price. If you're sticking to 5-10 lots, then you might fare ok around news but 6B around news? good luck. Watch the spreads widen to 10+ pips. And I'm sorry, so say that the volumes rocket on news is plain wrong, Unless you're talking about volume of trades rather than liquidity

#12     Jun 17, 2006
  3. well, i didnt mean u can get in and out easly with 100lots, just that there are plenty of traders movin' that size on both sides of the mkt and most trades on fx futs are matched so it easier to get filled when volumes are high. of course i never got in and out with 100lots, but with lesser size all of my trades went trough without a hitch. spreads never widen to 10pips on news max i saw was 3-5pips on 6e and it happens very, very rarely; overall it always stay stable at 1-2pips.
    and yes, i was talkin' about volumes of trades, and again, since most trades are matched it adds to liquidity.
    on a note, since i dont trade pairs that often, i think many other eter's here that trade em as their main instruments can make a comment here but as far as my experience goes no much to complain.

#13     Jun 17, 2006
  4. sccz97

sccz97

the large spreads I was referring to were on 6b and tbh on any non 6e fx future contract. Even on 6e, if you're looking to trade around big figures you're looking at poor liquidity. A lot of the liquidity in the futures mkt will be the big banks arbing between the futures and the spot price. All of the liquidity is going to be taken out seconds before any news and only graudally comes back after a good couple of minutes onces the vol has died down. spreads on the near jun 6b contract were >3 for a good 10 minutes after last uk retail sales

#14     Jun 17, 2006
  5. yeah, i never placed an order just before news or shortly after, usually waited at least 5min or so to get in and spread always very tight, on 6e of course. dunno about other pairs, if u say that liq is horrendous there i believe u; was just makin' a good case for tradin' 'em trough ib since i never had a prob so far, on the contrary, i was very impressed.

#15     Jun 17, 2006
  6. sccz97

sccz97

f you're not gonnatrade when the market is volatile then agreed, the spreads on 6E are never >2 ticks. I find trading through ib is fine when tws is working but recently there hav e been some serious issues withthe platform locking up and requiring a restart. I don't have to tell you how frustrating that would be when you're in the market during news. Java apps .... are crap.

#16     Jun 17, 2006
  7. yeah, to be fair ib has been a pain in the butt lately, those alerts also askin if u sure about sendin' your order have caused me to miss on major hits on sgx and many stocks, momo stuff, u know, 1sec late and u busted....even after i got rid of the pop up i happened to see it again over and over... what teh heck :confused:

still, never happened the platform freezin' on me, is it a new deadly issue? R0R.

#17     Jun 17, 2006
  8. sccz97

sccz97

there have alwayws been issues with the platform most of them minor. But recently, I've had this issue with frightening regularity during periods of high volatile. I've downgrade and upgraded to various versions of the software but still the same issue. I may have to go down the route of paying for the direct connection and writing my own more reliable app

#18     Jun 17, 2006
  9. thats really odd cuz never ever had problems with freezin'; maybe u ought to send an email to def or dav, innit.

#19     Jun 17, 2006
  10. sccz97

sccz97

it's annoying but there are other brokers out there

#20     Jun 17, 2006