How God Changes Your Brain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Did you not read the would "instinctive" there? Come on, Ricter, you're just being difficult. I'm no expert on infant thought processes, so I'm just guessing on this one as are you. But the thought preceding the emotion is a given among mental health professionals. People react emotionally to stimuli in life based on their interpretation of the stimuli. The interpretation of the stimuli is the evaluative thought process.

#41     Mar 16, 2011
  2. stu

stu

Well then let's get more info.....

• Matthew W. Anastasi, B.S.
      University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
      Andrew B. Newberg, M.D.
      University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.

ABSTRACT

Background: Various rituals have been shown to have both psychologic as well as physical effects. However, many rituals have multiple components that can account for such effects. Few studies have distinguished between the effects of ritual and those related specifically to religious content and teachings.

Objectives: The present study investigated the acute effects of the ritual of reciting the Rosary, which contains relatively little specific religious content compared to receiving specific teaching of religious concepts, on the level of anxiety.

Methods: We studied 30 students in a Catholic college divided into two intervention groups. Twelve (12) students participated in recitation of the Rosary, whereas 18 students viewed a religiously oriented video. Both groups were measured for anxiety pre- and postintervention through the use of the State–Trait Anxiety Inventory.

Results: A significant reduction in anxiety was observed in subjects reciting the Rosary compared to the group of subjects watching the video.

Conclusions: These preliminary results suggest that ritual itself may be a significant contributor to the effects of religious practices on psychologic well-being.
      THE JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE AND COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE

Andrew Newberg isn't exactly winning over science toward his conclusions, which in the end apparently, despite all the scanning, turn out to be his own point of view.

• Newberg’s research has been criticized from two main perspectives. From the religious perspective, concerns have been raised that the study of practices such as meditation does not necessarily extrapolate to the broader array of religious and spiritual phenomena.[1] However, Newberg tends to agree with this concern and has argued that future studies are needed to elucidate the more complex elements of religious and spiritual phenomena. From the non-religious perspective, Newberg has been criticized for not ultimately reducing religion to brain function.[7] Newberg has maintained that science and brain imaging studies are only tools to evaluate the brain during such experiences but do not necessarily negate such experiences. Newberg has argued that the integration of science and religion is critical for a better understanding of how human beings think and behave in a global context.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_B._Newberg

Something tells me your something is not being critical enough.

#42     Mar 16, 2011
  3. My brain has been changed and now I can't get it to change back. :(

Not that I want to, cause I am doing alright!!!!!!!! :D

#43     Mar 16, 2011
  4. You and Charlie Sheen both, eh?

#44     Mar 16, 2011
  5. Then you'd have to toss out the definition of instinct altogether.

On the baby thing, thats what Chomsky discovered, that they were "predisposed" towards developing language.

#45     Mar 16, 2011
  6. I don't see why. My understanding is that instinct and feeling/emotion are quite distinct. There may be some overlap, I suppose, but that does not make them synonymous.

Did I perhaps misunderstand your point?

#46     Mar 16, 2011

7. Sure, to the extent that two things that aren't the same thing have characteristics that differ. Taking into consideration duration then not alot of thought precedes what might pass for
    a feeling. If one were pricked with a pin spontaneously the feeling would be immediate then instinct kicks in and leads to thoughts.
    There may be some threshold amongst them but defining it is anybodies guess.

Rereading some of that thread it looks like alot of semantic
    play. The word feeling I"m associating with what the nervous system is responsible for. Feelings, as you meant it is more akin to rumination, reverie, cud chewing, contemplation etc.

#47     Mar 16, 2011
  8. If you want to believe in a god, then Satan is clearly superior anyway, so this isn't much help for the Abrahamic flock.

#48     Mar 16, 2011
  9. ============================
    Good points Fortune T:D

That Dr Newberg noted less anxiety & depression in Christians..........................................................................:cool:

Noticed generaly speaking, Christians think better;
    even though that may infuriate Washington Post types. Classic case follows .Jay Seculow, ACLJ attorney/FOX contributor will run a headline on his website'''No Islamic Mosque At ground Zero''
    ===================================================

Since Islamic terrorists usually terrify Washington Post types;
    rather than think clearly/write clearly about the issue, they tend to personally attack Mr Seculow, perhaps calling him narrow minded, mean spirited/fundamentalist fanatic. LOL:D

#49     Mar 16, 2011
  10. Can't mess with his pedigree, he is from Penn.
    Can't mess with the data, it is sound.
    So you say he has critics? Of course he does, that is what science is, isn't it?

#50     Mar 16, 2011