How God Changes Your Brain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Mar 14, 2011.

1. That depends. Does yours contain any of the following active ingredients or their generic equivalents?

[​IMG]

#31     Mar 16, 2011
  2. Ricter

Ricter

My definition of real does not include a part stating that people cannot feel those things to be true.

#32     Mar 16, 2011
  3. Groovy. And if triangles had gods, then those gods would have three sides.

Keep in mind that my previous post was in response to this one:

#33     Mar 16, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

It's possible those triangles could believe there are entities with more than three sides, don't you think?

Anyway, back to your point, I was off target a bit. My definition of "real" allows feelings.

Welcome to the Analytic-Continental Divide. How do you like the view? : )

#34     Mar 16, 2011
  5. Keep in mind that feelings are always preceded by thoughts, however fleeting. Therefore, in response to your post, while it is poetic on the surface, imagine the comfort your statement would bring to psychotics...

#35     Mar 16, 2011
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I disagree.

#36     Mar 16, 2011
  7. Then you would be wrong.

Even the the amygdala can be influenced by cognitive processes mediated by higher cortical regions of the brain. For all intents and purposes, emotions ("feelings") are precipitated by thoughts. This is the very basis of one of the most successful and efficient forms of talk therapy: cognitive therapy.

#37     Mar 16, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

So what is the materiality of an infant's thoughts, before it cries or laughs? There is nothing in memory, no language, no images.

#38     Mar 16, 2011
  9. You're clutching at straws, sir.

An infant can cry to instinctively communicate hunger or discomfort. I have yet to see a child laugh before ever having cried. By the time he laughs, it would be a response to something pleasing. Stimulus leads to interpretation, which in turn leads to response. The interpretation is the thought process. Same with crying, but I'm guessing that the first cry is more instinctive than anything else. It's been a while, so I don't remember it very clearly.

#39     Mar 16, 2011
  10. Ricter

Ricter

I don't see much room for thought in this.

#40     Mar 16, 2011