How George Soros knows what he knows

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by chessman, Jun 11, 2003.

1. JustAName

JustAName

George Soros may be a Synesthetic. Synesthesia occurs when a stimulus to one of the five senses (hearing, sight, touch, smell, taste) is also perceived by one of the other senses. So, for some, seeing the number "5" causes them to see it in the color "red", even though it was printed in black. Or the taste of chicken "feels pointy".

Strange stuff. Historically, synesthetics were not given the benefit of the doubt and were deemed crazy or possessed. Recent research is finding out some of the brain physiology behind such experience. Here's a link to a recent article in Scientific American Magazine. (If it doesn't work just do a search at www.sciam.com for synesthesia)

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0003014B-9D06-1E8F-8EA5809EC5880000&pageNumber=1&catID=2

People with sysnethesia can perceive patterns that the rest of us miss. I've long wondered if super-traders don't have some sort of unusual perception of market action that the rest of us lack. Because they can't quantify or explain what they perceive, it is called a "hunch". For the rest of us, a hunch is a sure road to oblivion. To them it is just acting upon what seems obvious.

It would be interesting to know if those traders who read this forum, and who successfully rely upon their hunches, associate market action with non-obvious physical sensations -- like an aching back when something doesn't seem correct?

"May your colors always be red or green -- not grey!" :)

#51     Jul 7, 2003

2. that is extremely interesting. thank you for the link. i have read articles by people describing their experiences while on psychedelic drugs that say they can "see" sounds and "hear" colors. wonder if these drugs somehow trigger the synthestatic experience ??

best,

surf

#52     Jul 7, 2003
  3. chessman

chessman Guest

In the interest of science and advancement of our mkt knowledge, surfer, why don't you experiment with what Woody Allen calls consciousness expanding drugs and let us know what sounds do your neo gann channels make? :)

#53     Jul 7, 2003

4. i don't need to. i "see" and "feel"
    ' the patterns

:)

#54     Jul 7, 2003
  5. Nothing astonishing you don't really see with your eyes or listen with your ears, eyes and ears are just captors it is the brain that forms what is interpreted as images and sounds. Drugs can modify the normal mapping structure. See last research in Elderman's book I already gave about how brain functions. If one push very far reality can be totally occulted by these means or equivalent. Escaping harsh reality though drug are a "solution" for some people. For artist it can help if it isn't abused but as for trading I don't really see drugs as a positive factor rather a destructive factor.

#55     Jul 7, 2003