How Far Is The Top?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradingjournals, Jul 21, 2011.

How far is the top on SPY

This poll will close on Sep 8, 2093 at 2:50 PM.
  1. 2%

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 5%

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. 10%

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 20%

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 0%

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Skies the limit

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  7. Prefer not to tell

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Which other indices/sectors that did not? XLE, XLF?

#21     Jul 22, 2011
  2. The leader pops his head first? Would there be more head pops or a head chop?

#22     Jul 22, 2011

3. the history repeats itself: "

Growing concern that the U.S. economy is faltering has erased $1.07 trillion from American equities in less than two weeks, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The S&P 500 plunged 2.6 percent yesterday, posting its biggest one-day loss in a year and giving the index the longest losing streak since October 2008, the depths of the financial crisis caused by Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.’s bankruptcy.

The drop surprised Birinyi, whose Westport, Connecticut- based research firm Birinyi Associates Inc. sees the bull market in U.S. equities lasting until 2013

“It’s like all these times when you second-guess yourself, and you probably wake up a little earlier than you’re used to, and maybe you put an extra finger of scotch in the glass,” said Birinyi, 67. “It’s probably a good idea to have a gut check once in a while, because it makes you review and rethink your process. Our view is that this is still a market of some duration.” "

at least the dude is funny :)

#23     Aug 2, 2011
  4. perfect top call. i am assuming it was the call.

#24     Aug 2, 2011
  5. What do you think of Amazon? Would it take the latest top on a rally?

Nitro's and Birinyi's predictions somewhat screwed my conviction, but the models said what they said.

TJ Shortie Out :cool:

#25     Aug 2, 2011
  6. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

The whole thread is silly there was no top call. At what point do people understand though what I've repeated numerous times this year, that the SPY has BEEN IN THE SAME TRADING RANGE ALL YEAR !!! Summer chop, obvious bs moves on news, posts about "shitting your pants" etc and basically markets done nothing at all for ages. Basically flat market this year, definately so in Canada.

Shortie you seem particularily lost. You called a big bull move in the summer. Usually doesn't happen. Worst time to take on time sensitive risk trades is now. The chop will kill you.

#26     Aug 2, 2011
  7. I gather you probably live in or close to a place where the sun does not shine (or does rarely shine). But if you were a cowboy, it would explain your (nth time) misspelling of the word definitely as definately-- I believe it does not spell the way you hear someone else saying it.

When are you going to make a live trade?

If you happen to have a crooked nose, do not think it makes you more intelligent than others. Crooked noses are a natural thing in human physiology. If you think otherwise, make the damn live market opinions, and let us see how you would do.

Do not consume the time of good fellows on ET, and Shortie is one of the good fellows around here!

#27     Aug 2, 2011
  8. exactly, i am a busy man and don't have much free time on my hands (after i am done with my 100 posts/day here) :)

i also said many times that Nine_Ender should man up and try a few live calls before he should be allowed to criticize others.

#28     Aug 2, 2011
  9. #29     Aug 3, 2011
  10. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

I already pointed out to you a live call I made on the Neke journal that would have made you anywhere between 1000% and 3000% in less then a month. You could have taken that trade at any point for two weeks.

There were more trades here and there. I had a very specific 25% gain on a trade in several tech stocks last year. It paid the 25% in just over a month.

Last fall, during the whole 1000 or 1200 garbage, I specifically noted very obvious technical buying at 1041 on the S&P 500.

Case closed.

#30     Aug 3, 2011