How does Xeon E 5645 2.4 GHz compare to i-7 2600K 3.4 GHz ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trader12, Mar 30, 2012.

1. It depends on the platform. In the early days i created a grid within NinjaTrader with about 60 symbols and it lagged to death. That's because NT uses a for/next loop in managed code to tie up arriving ticks to charts/data in memory. I ended up coding my own platform, and with it, CPU you mentioned can handle probably a few 1000 symbols with properly written indicators. For that reason, i'm sure there are many platforms out there that are well suited for multiple charts and multiple indicators and that will run ok on that CPU. You need to test them all out, that's all. Also if they are tick charts, you will need a top of the line data feed.

#11     Apr 1, 2012
  2. easymon1

easymon1

..........http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ - help compare the relative speeds of the different processors

#12     Apr 2, 2012
  3. OP "feels slower" could be something as small as operating system or memory.

What OS do you have installed in the T7500 and how much memory?

#13     Apr 2, 2012
  4. trader12

trader12

I am using :

Windows -7, 64 bit ( Ultimate ) &

12 GB DDR3 ECC RAM

#14     Apr 2, 2012
  5. I think it is just a marketing ploy. If they say it is designed for "financial"... Z Z Z Z Z But if they say it is designed for DAY TRADERS... Wow!!!! Buy buy buy!

#15     Apr 2, 2012
  6. Sort of like shops who make "computers for traders"... you know, those SPECIAL ones?

#16     Apr 2, 2012
  7. haha like Falcon?

OP - I've personally put/sold/placed over 50 computers into service and so far I've only had one issue (sorry... he's a member of ET and it's a faulty hardware issue not software) and have imaged over 500 machines (XP to W7 upgrades).

I have no idea why you would be having these issues if you were following a few simple rules:

Clean install of W7, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and do all windows updates (on legit non-pirated software).

Have never, ever had an issue.

Don't install toolbars or add-ins or sexy screen-savers or desktops - solid colors are fine because charts should be covering the real estate.

#17     Apr 3, 2012
  8. An ET'er send me a PM... said he'd read my posts and bought a T3500 + 2 large monitors for about $1000, and it's working great. Before he had bought one of those "special" ones.. for about $4,000.

(He also said he comes to Colorado fairly often... and en route passes to within about 10 miles of where I live... said he'd "take a little detour and buy me beer"... we'll have to see about that.)

#18     Apr 3, 2012
  9. trader12

trader12

Winston,

I never use toolbars, visit harmful sites, use plain black screen, no screen savers etc etc.

I did clean install W-7 ( That came with Dell T-7500 ) but used quick formatting though.

Defrageed HDD etc etc.

Don't know much about how to monitor CPU usage & whether my app is 6 threaded or not.

I can use help on that.

Any special software to do that besides Windows task manager ?

#19     Apr 6, 2012