How does Warren Buffet scale in and out?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bontrjd, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ozzie123

ozzie123

Is NOT having a computer a disadvantage to him? Does having a computer made you a better market participant than him?

And what's wrong with looking at the stock price from a news paper if you're going aboard the stock for like 5-10 years?

Different mindset culminates different attitude.

#21     Sep 15, 2007
  2. danoXP

danoXP

WSJ i believe. No cellphone either. Likes to do math in his head (does not use a calculator because he hates false precision). Although he has been known to borrow a cellphone or use a satellite phone from an Alaskan cruise ship to negotiate big deals ;)

my impression is not first hand, it is dated a few years old, and of course was provided by various media/published sources and interviews with the CEOs of all his holding companies (PBS).

... the man spends his brain bandwidth on understanding Value ... once he knows value then it is very easy to derive price.

#22     Sep 15, 2007
  3. And another Buffet thread taken off-topic. Happens all the time. You see the name Buffet in a thread and we get the same BS all the time:

- "Buffet can't trade"
    - "Buffet is too stupid to use a computer"
    - "Buffet is greedy"
    - "Buffet didn't outperform XZY in the last 12 months"
    - "He made all his money in the 1920s err wait 1960s, he could never replicate it now"
    - "Buffet is a 7 sigma event, he could blow up any minute"

and more BLA BLA BLA

#23     Sep 15, 2007
  4. "Buffet is a value investor. Some mutual funds beat the pants off this guy for yearly comparisons. For example"

so what? a monkey throwing darts can beat the pants off buffet for a YEAR

what the heck does a year mean.

"CACFX has performed 56% YTD returns while BRK.A hasn't done less than 10% YTD."

first of all, return without RISK means nothing.

as many hedge funds that have been nearly (or completely) wiped out recently can attest to

buffet (who is a INVESTOR not a trader) has done better (over the last 20+ yrs, which is a REAL track record) than the VAST majority of investors, and has done so with relatively less risk/volatility, etc.

heck, i can (and have) beaten buffett's average yearly return in 2 weeks of futures trading. does that make me a better investor than buffet? of course not. cherry picked short term results mean little.

compare apples to apples

#24     Sep 15, 2007
  5. I have said before and said now buffet is overrated.

#25     Sep 15, 2007
  6. I figured that much. He probably couch fishes for quarters, rides his bicycle to the corner grocery store or 7-11 and starts penciling stocks right in the parking lot while drivers honk his ass out to move.

#26     Sep 15, 2007

7. There are lots of mutual funds that will beat the pants off BRK.A stock. I have owned

PRLAX
    OBCHX
    EWZ

They have given me 75% annual return today combined. Why should I buy BRK.A when it has delivered less than 10% ?

WARREN BUFFET has a solid PR machine behind him, no doubt. He is media savvy type but old fashioned and computer challenged. He does not owns a cell phone nor a computer that is what I heard here on this forum. He looks up stock prices in the newspapers!

#27     Sep 15, 2007
  8. WB doesn't invest anymore..approximately 1/3 of BRK's marketshare is in cash and he can't pull the trigger anymore.

:D

#28     Sep 15, 2007
  9. He's skurrrrd..

He should buyout BnB Methlabs.. I hear they are running on a very high profit margin..

#29     Sep 15, 2007

10. No wonder BRK.A is returning nothing this year. Just look at the one year chart, its flat with a little crown forming right now. Is this world's greatest stock? How ironic that may be.

I f you invest in these mutual funds listed above you would increase your investments 75% or better in one year. Nothing is guaranteed, but its very realistic. These funds are well diversified and have names like PTR and others, which Warren Buffet owns himself.

#30     Sep 15, 2007