how does the computer know what country you're in?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lescor, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Galt/GANN, quit spewing BS! lol

#11     Apr 1, 2004
  2. Was it verisign that's in charge of Internet IP? They store your information in there... just how you can find the owner of a website and who it's registered to.

It's still got nothing to do with IP Address and Routing etc. As a matter of fact, routers don't store those WhoIs Info...

#12     Apr 1, 2004
  3. Get a VPN connection to a US based network.
    Or get a US isp to assign you an ip.

peace

axeman

#13     Apr 1, 2004
  4. agrau

agrau

No, it's not Verisign. VRSN is just one of many registrars nominated by a NIC who received authority from the IETF (IANA to be more precise, based at ICANN).

Boy you are clueless about what you are talking. Why don't you simply stop making a fool of yourself?

#14     Apr 1, 2004
  5. I'm actually not that clueless...

You've gotta understand TCP/IP "Protocol" does not cache the country of the network. Those things are cached in the higher layer in the so called... OSI layer model... come to think of it... I'm pretty rusty with that all... I can't even name all the 7 OSI layers...

Well at least I remember how the setup a Switch and a Router...

#15     Apr 14, 2004
  6. Total Net Shield from www.anonymizer.com combined with changing your PC settings to US, should yankify you no matter where you are. The problem with SOME proxy server services is that they only mask your IP address while web surfing, so the very second you send an email to sign up for that service you want, you get collared as they track your real IP address. TNS has the ability to mask you via email too. In today's world of snoops and hackers, I can't imagine not using this service. To me, it's worth every penny for the security it offers along with good customer service.

#16     Apr 14, 2004
  7. I know our admins have software that monitors hackers trying to hit our system. They could tell - and I am sure it is just by IP - where the hack is coming from (assuming it was not spoofed of course). Most of the attemped hacks came from colleges on the other side of the planet, at least on the day he showed me the software. Anyway, I would guess this was all done by IP address - there's nothing else flying across the internet that can pinpoint location...

#17     Apr 15, 2004
  8. The first digits in your credit card number are some kind of country code. In order to get access to the interesting parts of Napster and iTunes you need an US credit card with an US billing address.

#18     Apr 15, 2004
  9. If you perform a trace-route on an IP address in question, you can see the exact path that your packets take in order to reach the other machine.

If someone is hacking away at your system, you can find out the IP address easily enough and see which ISP has that IP address. You won't know the identity at that point, but you could ask the ISP to investigate the abuse.

However, if the hacker is just slightly savy, they can make use of proxy servers to make it much more difficult to track down. Generally, if the attack is coming from another country, there isn't much recourse since the attacker is covered under a different jurisdiction with their own set of laws.

IP addresses in themselves are just numbers, but those numbers are assigned to ISPs. There is no such thing as a "dynamic" IP address -- someone owns it if it is being used.

#19     Apr 15, 2004
  10. No, I knew they weren't dynamic. But I forgot about the fact that they're really tracing it to IP.

And if it's a foreign country - I don't think the hackers worry too much...

#20     Apr 15, 2004