how does the computer know what country you're in?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lescor, Mar 31, 2004.

1. lescor

lescor

I downloaded the new Napster music service, but it won't work for me because it's only available in the US. What setting on my computer do I have to change to trick Napster?

2. Hello Corey:
    Best I can do is point you in a direction that I hope is right. I believe that computers identify themselves with what is called a MAC address (medium acess control). This is an ID that is transmitted from the NIC when you communicate over the internet. If I am correct you need to find a way to block this. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it. The only other thing that might affect this is the IP (dynamic or static). Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Perhaps a general search with google or a call to your local computer tech will solve the riddle. Good luck, Steve46

3. agrau

agrau

I believe it's just your IP adress. Napster knows it and does a thing called "reverse name lookup" to see where the domain you belong to is physically located.

If I happen to be right about this, find some provider that allows anonymous surfing and is located in the US. This provider will hide your real IP and replaces it with his own. Maybe this solves your problem.

Best,
    agrau

4. NOPE... NIC Address and MAC address are the same thing. They are an imprinted hardware # that the vendor issues, which has nothing to do with the geographical location. Usually, it goes starting with the vendor code... then the product and the individual ID #.

5. NOPE, again. IP Address itself has nothing to do with the location. I can take a US located IP Addressed network to any country and there would no problem with it's compatibility, just an static or dynamic update on the routers.

6. Well, it looks like you download the software and the software determines the setting of your computer or your version of OS. I probably won't be able to pinpoint it unless I download and sign up for their service but I'm sure I won't because I download music for free via Morpheus.

7. agrau

agrau

Are you sure? I'd love to see where you have this information from, NIC and MAC adresses being the same thing.

Thanks,
    agrau

8. agrau

agrau

When I take my IP adress and ask whois(1), I get an authorative ripe country FR (France)

When I take the IP adress of elitetrader.com, I get ripe country US.

I have not meant to say that you can not have any IP adress around the world, but for each public IP adress (not those hidden on an internal net) there is exactly one registrar. And he has the country where the domain behind the IP is registered. Which is in most cases the physical location the computer is in. The only exception I can think of are global corporate networks in which case you "seem" to be in, say, the USA while you actually are sitting in a nice cafe in Paris.

Could you please explain what you mean by "static or dynamic update on the routers" - I don't get what you're trying to say.

Thanks,
    agrau

9. Just a guess, but the timezone/country/area code/language composite settings the computer is set with?

Low tech but useful

10. Half right, half wrong.

Your local ISP has an IP address and this IP address is assigned. From there it can determined which country the IP address has been assigned to.

Yes you can take it abroad but it still is originally assigned to a particular organisation / institute / business etc.

There are indeed servers that can "spoof" the IP address but unfortunately I have lost their names. (Used to utilise one myself when I was in Asia) The one I had suddenly stopped its service (and I can imagine why, no need to elaborate)

#10     Apr 1, 2004