How does one "find oneself"??

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by EqtTrdr, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Cutten

Cutten

How will paying uneducated money-grubbing 3rd world prostitutes for sex help him "find himself"?

You do that shit when you are flush with cash and just want to live high for a bit, not when you are going through an existential crisis. For someone lacking direction, trying to escape the world by plunging into meaningless hedonism is about the worst advice possible.

#41     Oct 7, 2006
  2. But the funny thing about that book (I have it) is that so few of the stories end with the person actually having found life fulfillment - or even occupational fulfillment.

In fact, that book is what spurred me into considering that real fulfillment should be derived from outside one's work. So far, it's working.

#42     Oct 7, 2006
  3. Trying to live up to the expectations of others is an unsatisfying and never ending treadmill.

#43     Oct 7, 2006
  4. sounds like you need a girlfriend.

#44     Oct 7, 2006
  5. Man, I can relate except that I love trading, just not for some evil company. I love doing it just for me. To be honest, having backstabbing co-workers and all the politics that come with it isn't as glamourous as it may appear. If you want socialization, join some clubs or groups. That way, you can trade during the day and socialize at night...
    Also, great sex once in a while cures the blues.

QUOTE]Quote from EqtTrdr:

I have been trading for 6 years now, 4 profitably but can't see myself doing this forever, as to me it's just so dang boring.....:(

At first it was exciting, but now it's the same routine day in and day out, acting like a machine with no correspondence with the outside world :(

Problem is I am 34 years old and still have no idea what I want to do with my life.

I have tried and tried over and over again to "find myself" but no no avail.

Do I just go back to the job I left before trading to make the same money I am now? I hated the 65 hour work week and despised waking up every morning to go to work.

Maybe I should just go sell cars? become a real estate agent? Life insurance salesman??

I have no freakin' clue.

I love everything as a hobby, but nothing enough to dedicate my life towards it.

Where do I go from here?

How did you, or someone you know ever find what you wanted to do with your life career wise?

:confused: :confused:
    [/QUOTE]

#45     Oct 10, 2006
  6. promagma

promagma

You could be a trading mentor. Or a life coach.

#46     Oct 14, 2006
  7. I don't believe anyone mentioned this, and it's going to sound extremely ignorant, but I promise you it will work.

Lie to yourself. Every single day tell yourself you are having fun in whatever job you have. Think about struggles as challenges. Develop achievable goals. It is a proven fact that if you lie to yourself long enough your subconscious will eventually believe it.

I absolutely hated my job, and my industry. There were backward thinking fools in management at every turn. Life was just so frustrating back then. I thought to myself the grass is not going to be greener anywhere else, and if I am not intelligent enough to get past these fools then I certainly don't deserve anything out of life.

I made it a game. I gave my boss ideas and convinced him he thought of those ideas. Although it took years for me to get any credit, I was actually successfully running our section of the company through him. I kept getting him promoted and he knew he needed me to continue to get promoted so I went along with him after every promotion. Eventually he reached a position where upper management began to realize there was no way possible that he could have done what he was given credit for all of those years. I finally got the recognition I deserved and was promoted over him.

I could have never done this unless I lied to myself. I did the same thing when I started my own business 14 years ago. I had a nice cushy job making 200k with great benefits. I had 4 kids with another one on the way. My industry was is shambles and everyone was losing money. This was not the time to begin my own business, but I knew I would never be totally happy until I did it for myself. So I lied to myself about the timing. I convinced my subconscious that the worst of times were actually the best of times to start a company. Since everyone's business was so bad they would not know I was stealing their business. They would blame it on the economy and be totally justified doing so. I could create market share very quietly, and that is exactly what I did.

Anyway enough of this boring history. Lying to yourself can create happiness as long as you find a way to make the lie come true. For some reason, your subconscious will do all the work for you,and make it come true. Picture where you want to go in life everyday. See yourself doing it. See yourself feeling the rewards of your efforts. If you do this you will get to where you want to go.

Good luck

#47     Oct 14, 2006
  8. Spxdes

Spxdes

Wow. You really are a poet. I don't know about the original poster but you sure have inspired me. Thanks.

#48     Oct 14, 2006
  9. Spxdes

Spxdes

I can't believe no one has suggested joining a trading firm! Trading from home can be extremely boring and make you feel like a bum. Every once in a while I will trade from home but I would never want to do it full time. Being around other traders will be good for you. Hopefully you will find people that you can share ideas with and inspire you. You could join a firm that allows you to take trainees and teach them how to trade.

#49     Oct 14, 2006
  10. Spxdes

Spxdes

Anyone see "In Good Company" with Dennis Quad and Topher Grace??? This thread reminded me of that movie. Go rent it.

#50     Oct 14, 2006