How does one "find oneself"??

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by EqtTrdr, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Yeah, that really bums a guy out doesn't it? If only the banks didn't always win, especially if they always lost, then ho boy, getting ahead or staying in the middle (broke's never fun) would be just so cool, so fulfilling, wouldn't it, pinko bunny?

#21     Oct 6, 2006
  2. Go on a trip to Brazil or the Philippines. Find some ladies. Thats all I have to say.

#22     Oct 6, 2006
  3. Actually I've known a lot of engineers who found a great deal of fulfillment in their careers. Actually creating things along the way makes for some sound satisfactions.

#23     Oct 6, 2006
  4. Your life is what you make of it.

That is the best advice I can give you from my personal experience.

Although trading for yourself and working in corporate america has it's distinct differences, they mimic each other in that they both carry a certain level of stress and frustrations. Many folks have a surreal impression that (day)trading does not necessitate long hours, hard work, stress, or personal sacrifices.

I have spent the better half of my professional life despising coming to work each morning. This obviously affected my personal life and the level of happiness that I would achieve. My sole goal in life was to obtain the level of capitalization that would allow me to live freely without being a slave to the rat race. Unfortunately, this path is a lengthy and treacherous one without any guarantee of success. Years of my life rolled by while I worked away at trying to increase my funds and lot sizes. Trying to advance in your career and building a trading plan simultaneously was a burden on myself and my family. I continuously told myself that in X years, this would be all behind me. That may be true in a perfect world, but I soon realized that my goal may have been reached in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, or possibly never. All I focused on was the future and how I would carve my path to financial freedom. All the while, I missed out on many opportunities to enjoy life in general.

I will tell you that this is no different whether you are a lawyer, CPA, or a trader. The goal is still there and I am by no means saying that these goals are not valid. What I am saying is that there must be a balance between enjoying your personal life and generating your income.

Fortunately, I had a very abrupt wake up call when I was almost involved in what would have been a fatal motorcycle accident a year ago during labor day weekend. Ever since then, my whole perspective towards work, the daily routines, and life overall had a 180 degree change. I continue to trade because I love it and I find it incredibly intriguing. However, I no longer force such high expectations upon myself that would cause undue stress as a result. If I have a good month, great. A bad month...oh well.

In regards to your complaints about the daily routine, it is entirely up to you to make the changes in your life that will allow you to find happiness. It is up to you to find a positive trait out of every negative situation. If you miss interaction with other people, make it a point to meet folks after the day is over. Take the time to reach out to old friends.

Before you decide on changing professions, remember that there is no one single job that is perfect. The reason that people love their jobs is because they choose to find the positive aspects of what they do and disregard the negatives. Now if you cannot find anything positive about what you do or what you would like to do, then it becomes a problem. In this case, a career change is in order. However, for the most part, I believe that this is only necessary in extreme circumstances.

Whether you decide to continue trading or pursue a career in selling pet rocks, remind yourself that time is the only resource that cannot be replaced. I almost lost my life a year ago. Take it from my experience.

Your life is what you make of it.

#24     Oct 6, 2006
  5. I reiterate my call on this. Go to Brazil, Thailand or the Philippines and find yourself some women.

#25     Oct 6, 2006
  6. Some one on this site mentioned reading this book.
    [​IMG]

I was in the same situation as you were and ironically it's what led me to quit my 9-5er and start trading full time. It's a book of about 50 peoples stories of how they ended up doing what they do for a living.

#26     Oct 6, 2006
  7. How will catching Syphillis make you happy?? lol

#27     Oct 6, 2006
  8. Not to go all Zen on you, but happiness comes from within - frankly, it sounds like you can go to any other "job" and probably still have the same problem.

Pursue some Buddhism studies to put everything in perspective, and look at yourself and the world with a different slant. I recommend "Awakening the Buddha Within : Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World".

Also, check out The T.A.D. Principle - there is a lot of good stuff there to help with self-worth.

#28     Oct 6, 2006
  9. There is no choice for you but...
    Renounce all your worldly possesions, go and live in an ashram somewhere in the Scandinavian alps!?, meditate "I am th (:))))t", get up early,, cool showers, chant, meditate, drink fresh cows milk, chop wood, meditate some more, read, sell postcards door to door, hang out with other like minded people, let go and let ***. Seriously, it's the best thing you could do to take your trading to the next level. I talk from exp..... ahem. Now where were we?

#29     Oct 6, 2006
  10. nkhoi

nkhoi

or learn to do this
    "A Buddhist monk has his vital signs measured as he prepares to enter an advanced state of meditation in Normandy, France. During meditation, the monk's body produces enough heat to dry cold, wet sheets put over his shoulders in a frigid room"
    http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04.18/09-tummo.html

#30     Oct 6, 2006