How does one "find oneself"??

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by EqtTrdr, Oct 6, 2006.

1. I have been trading for 6 years now, 4 profitably but can't see myself doing this forever, as to me it's just so dang boring.....:(

At first it was exciting, but now it's the same routine day in and day out, acting like a machine with no correspondence with the outside world :(

Problem is I am 34 years old and still have no idea what I want to do with my life.

I have tried and tried over and over again to "find myself" but no no avail.

Do I just go back to the job I left before trading to make the same money I am now? I hated the 65 hour work week and despised waking up every morning to go to work.

Maybe I should just go sell cars? become a real estate agent? Life insurance salesman??

I have no freakin' clue.

I love everything as a hobby, but nothing enough to dedicate my life towards it.

Where do I go from here?

How did you, or someone you know ever find what you wanted to do with your life career wise?

:confused: :confused:

2. Look for some books or mags or some websites that profile unusual careers... and see if any of them spark creative interest in you... and consider that you can even morph those to your own DNA style...

i think you need to do something that is creative... to balance out trading... a type of work that challenges the other parts of your mind verus financial risk management...

consider IQ work...
    Intellectual Intelligence that does
    left brain deductive work

there is EQ work...
    Emotional Intelligence that does right brain inductive work

there is CQ work...
    Creative Intelligence that does full brain intuitive work

explore... good luck...

a quick Goog search got this...

http://www.quintcareers.com/cool_unique_seasonal_jobs.html

:)

cj...

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

3. thanks a bunch :)

4. Go traveling. Go and do something outside your comfort zone. Go and meet new people. Go volunteer at a big organization like the UN. Go to church. Go take up beginner's yoga. Or go take up beginner's kickboxing. Buy a new magazine. Allocate $500 dollars and find a charity to donate that to. Go to a Gambler's or Alcoholoic's Anonymous meeting. Meditdate. Learn a new skill like cooking something exotic.

The suggestions above isn't the destination for finding yourself, but it will lead you on the right path. Stimulate the mind, and you will likely find what you are looking for. Feeling bored of trading is definately telling me your life is pretty predictable and routine right now.

5. nkhoi

nkhoi

6. all great suggestions :) thanks!!

Problem lies as well in the fact that I need to pay bills as well as enjoy the job. You can have all the fun, excitement and brain stimulation you want, but if you can't pay the rent it will be no fun living on the street :)

7. go get a valcation and clear up u mind; tradin' make us onesided and confused and bein' isolated all the time zure does not help clear thinkin'.

8. nkhoi

nkhoi

The ongoing bicycle touring story of how we saved our money, quit our jobs, sold our possessions, and set off to travel around the world.

http://www.downtheroad.org/

9. You say you are a profitable trader but find it boring.. Why do you find trading boring? You obviously havent made enough to retire on as paying bills is something you still worry about.

Although you claim to be profitable it doesnt sound like you have traded size yet..
    Why did you lose your passion for trading?

10. You must not be making a whole lot of money. I dont see how making a lot of money can get dull. Making so-so money yeah. Maybe you need to beef up your trading to make it more exciting.

#10     Oct 6, 2006