How does one build an educational trading business

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by ultimatesuccess01, Jun 13, 2019.

1. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

One of the most important parts of any business model is customer acquisition. You may not like that educators promote themselves on social media, but that's the avenue you'll probably have to use unless you're famous. The thing that will set you apart from the crowd is the quality of the product you offer.

There are a lot of other things to consider with an undertaking like this.
    1. How specialized is your knowledge?
    2. Do you plan to teach day trading, swing trading, long term investing, or all of the above?
    3. Do you have experience in different areas like stocks, options, futures, forex, etc.?
    4. Are you prepared to make a significant investment to develop a curriculum and develop a website to host it?
    5. Are you planning to do 1 on 1 mentoring with your students? If so, are prepared for the time investment that would take? Do you plan to hire others to teach your educational system if you grow enough that you don't have the time to work with all your students?

I've always believed it would be much easier to sell educational BS than actual legitimate education. Most people want to be sold the dream that they can take a small amount of money and create exponential gains from it. They don't want to be told about how many people fail and how much hard work it takes to be successful.

I'll wish you good luck if you choose to pursue this. I wouldn't want any part of it.

#31     Jun 14, 2019
    coplii likes this.
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

With modern software (like Kajabi) to host courses/membership sites, tons of info (paid and free) on how to build courses, and decent cheap labor (virtual assistants in the Phillipines) to do repetitive tasks and some technical work, this isn't as hard as you think. Pat Flynn, who has an entrepreneurial podcast, has interviewed several guests with trading membership sites. One of them (Kirk of Options Alpha) said he was bringing in 6 figures monthly at the time of the interview. I don't know if that's gross or net, but the costs of an online business isn't that much. He's making A LOT of money...probably a lot more than he does from options trading.

#32     Jun 14, 2019
    coplii likes this.
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

I have coded the SL, i could code the entry,you cant really code where to exit at profit it’ll either hold too long or not long enough.

Main issue, no way to teach it market conditions, ie when it should or shouldnt trade, best bet, after 2 or 3 losers,sim trade till 2 or 3 profits,to try to sit out chop.

#33     Jun 15, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

I’ve tried teaching total newbies 2 stupid, 1 average, 1 higher IQ than me, nobody listens, everyone thinks there smarter.

Stupid 1s try to scalp every up\down move, average and high refused to accept they where wrong ever, so every trade doubled account or wiped account lol

Good look teaching people anything.

#34     Jun 15, 2019
    MarkBrown and qlai like this.
  5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

exits - this is where back testing helps - you could test efficiency ratio spikes, moving average rollover, rsi levels, fixed amount, trailing fixed amount, truerange and all sorts of exits.

chop - again back testing different ideas - historical volatility rank, t3bb channel, dynamic channel crunch, adx, stddev, average true range, time of day and much more to filter chop.

it's not mysterious how i view things, it's like could your relative or close friend take over the trading if something were to happen to you? it's the same due diligence that ever fund manager faced when starting a fund.

#35     Jun 15, 2019
  6. What? And you want a piece of that action? Mugging old ladies is easier and doesn't require you to setup a YouTube account.

Now piss off you parasitic leech. Nobody here with half a brain cell gives a single flying fuck about you or your business. Cunt.

#36     Jun 15, 2019
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Exits - None of that is a good most of the time as a human brain with 10years experience.

Chop - time of day is likely your best bet, I don't trade 12-2pm ET for instance, as likely just chop and too slow.

And no, you can't teach experience, you can get someone on the right track, but they'll go on the internet and learn some doji star rule or wave bla bla bla and wipe it all out, with fancy sounding BS!!

#37     Jun 15, 2019
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Looks like our would-be vendor has left the building. Again, my main issue is he needs a proven (audited) track record as a trader. He may be a great "educator" and have tons of "high quality material" about Fibonacci, Elliot Wave and secret chart patterns with zero statistical edge (but plenty of cherry-picked winning trades). He may have years of experience...of being an inconsistent trader with break-even or negative results. None of that sets him apart.

#38     Jun 15, 2019
  9. qlai

qlai

How will you know it's still relevant? What if he was shadow trading someone else? What if he had three accounts and blew up the other two? You either take a leap of faith, or you will always have a doubt.
    I've heard of traders providing track records to get funding, but I have never heard of traders providing records for the privilege to teach someone. If you are talented, you will be noticed one way or the other - the mentor will find you. If you are not, be thankful for people spending/wasting their time on you at all. Just my take on it, fwiw.

#39     Jun 15, 2019
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

While those things are possible, something is always better than nothing. Also, if he blew up a few accounts, it's likely the lone surviving account has huge drawdowns/volatility or is taking some other risk (like trading without stops, aggressive options selling, etc...meaning the equity curve looks too good to be true).

#40     Jun 15, 2019