How does one become an Energy Trader?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by StockHustler, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I don't believe Nymex officially has a platform for power. Last I heard they were trying to put it up on Globex, but with the intricacies of all the different strips, it just seems like a nightmare logistically.

Amerex just launched their energymatch platform which offers STP and if you choose Nymex as your exchange, the trades get submitted immediately for clearing.

#31     Mar 4, 2009
  2. Im also looking for some leads to forray in the real time trading. I have exp in day ahead power and would like to get on the ICE desk trading Cin Hub or something similar in Houston.

#32     Mar 18, 2009
  3. monty09

monty09

rt pays from 70-110 base and % of base as bonus

most work 11-13 days a month

#33     Mar 27, 2009
  4. Hi
    New to this forum. I am interviewing for an energy trader position. I am trying to break into the energy industry without any experience. THis is pretty much the only firm that has invited me for an interview. It is offering a very (very to the power infitniy) low package as start. Less than 40K. My objective is to learn the domain, would it be fulfilled? I am wiling to compromise on the salary bit for the knowledge I can gain. Any inputs?Thank u.

#34     Apr 12, 2009
  5. gold@42

gold@42

take the job, and learn then move on or request more$$$

#35     Apr 14, 2009
  6. I've been in the same boat(Trying to get a position in energy) for almost a year now. On an interview I had with Shell for a RT position, the guy interviewing my said 3 of the 4 RT traders he had were hired from Scheduler positions.

I'm still looking and I apply to every RT and scheduler position I can find but the latest one I saw that was looking for no experience was this one.

http://houston.craigslist.org/acc/1109768632.html

#36     Apr 14, 2009
  7. turbosyde

turbosyde

Am trying to get into energy space as well. It's a tough nut to crack, seems everyone wants experience (even schedulers). Any additional advise that hasn't been covered in this thread would be appreciated.

#37     Jul 21, 2010
  8. monty09

monty09

100 folks in houston lost their jobs today so going to be a little tougher

#38     Jul 22, 2010
  9. turbosyde

turbosyde

Brutal, was even considering moving there to pursue a career.

#39     Jul 23, 2010
  10. How come? The energy space is really heating up with opportunity. Maybe not in Texas, but still.

#40     Jul 27, 2010