How does one become an Energy Trader?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by StockHustler, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I am living in Houston and have experience trading stocks and options but want to crack into the energy trading industry. Most companies are located here in Houston and if any advice can be shed on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Centaurus?

3. PM me.

4. Would anyone have recommendations on how to get my foot in the door? The trading I have done has only been for a personal account although I did work for a stock picking website where I learned technical analysis and options for about a year. I am only 25 years old but I am extremely interested in the Oil market and have a bachelors degree in Finance. I eat, sleep, and drink the market and am looking for something down here in Houston, even if it is an assistant role or an entry level role. The experience part is the part that I think is holding me back, any advice on how to get an entry level job would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.

5. XBOT

XBOT

there are so many energy shops in houston but unless you are a recent grad going through a training program it usually takes around 4-5 years of doing other mid office crap before you can start to dabble in trading.

try applying at Shell Trading, ConocoPhillips, bp, Constellation, Chevron, Apache, Reliant, Merril Lynch Commodities, Integrys....

Majority of the shops in Houston are focused on gas and power. A few may have crude benches down here but your biggest chance is with a phys gas shop

6. you could inquire if MBF in nyc is still accepting interns

and send a resume to them

good luck kid

7. XBOT

XBOT

I don't think MBF really has a need for the interns like they used to. The floor is so dead besides the options pits they don't need them anymore.

8. Look for midsize utility corporations. Look for scheduler or other associate level positions. You need to know all the pipelines very well.

9. bh_prop

bh_prop

The poster who advised going after an entry-level scheduling job was giving good advice as most junior level gas traders come up through scheduling.

You may also try real time power desks to get your foot in the door. The rotating shift work including holidays and weekends keeps those positions in sort of a 'revolving door' mode.

10. I thank everyone for their responses. Is anyone currently an energy trader? Do you or someone you know that trades enjoy their job?

#10     Feb 23, 2008