How does Nassim Taleb trade?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by stocon, Oct 1, 2006.

1. taowave

taowave

Mo,Do you have any idea how he has done the last 3 years???

#31     Oct 3, 2006
  2. No idea. Might e-mail him if he still responds to gamma@fbr.com.

#32     Oct 3, 2006
  3. taowave

taowave

Did you ever work at Salomon?Your style is eerily familiar...

You wrote any good dispersion trader is gamma flat or long.

I am referring to long equity vol/short index vol.Call it anything you wish...

I then ask you,apx what underlying notional must you sell in index options to be flat gamma/vega??

Would you say its 1.5 x the equity notional or would you say its closer to 2x???

Perhaps i should have said you have a directional bet on.If your options are of the same maturity and you are running a gamma flat book,what do you think will happen on the downside even as correlation approaches 1???

All i am saying is if you are flat gamma/theta in that specific trade,there is a definite directional element and most funds will not let you trade it gamma flat.They would not view the trader as a competent dispersion trader..

#33     Oct 3, 2006

4. I was briefly at Salomon in 1991. I refuse to sell cheap gamma, so long street/short index isn't in my bag of tricks under 95 corr. Yeah, it would likely require >1.5x notional. I was implying that I would err to excess long gammas, in notional-terms. Simply: bullish dispersion, long notional premium.

#34     Oct 3, 2006
  5. taowave

taowave

I think our paths have crossed:)

That was my only point..Alot of guys who just cant buy vol,will attempt to run a dispersion book gamma flat as the next best choice...And they get spanked on any good correction...

I am with you,I just cant bear to sell this gamma....

#35     Oct 3, 2006
  6. Auto-responder says he's currently busy with book till September 2nd (past)...so probably running behind schedule LOL.

#36     Oct 3, 2006
  7. taowave

taowave

or gagging on long vega

#37     Oct 3, 2006
  8. Gotcha, I misunderstood. =)

Yeah, I can't bring myself to sell index gamma unless I am net long size, and then it's simply placing a bet. I'd rather buy correlation thru the short vol-swap and take my hit on component outliers.

#38     Oct 3, 2006
  9. He sent me a scathing email from his crackberry not long ago.

#39     Oct 3, 2006
  10. taowave

taowave

LOL...were you worthy of his wrath????

#40     Oct 3, 2006