How Does Excel Help Traders?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ess1096, Jul 4, 2006.

1. #31     Jul 6, 2006

2. Great video, but not the one i was hoping for to learn about excel. Can some one please post a simple excel spread sheet that they used in past or currently use to keep track of their trades and stats so i can see how its done and modify it to my needs. Im not trying to be lazy by trying to not make my own, but trying to speed up the process. Ive tried in the past to do it by myself but got frustrated and didnt get anywhere. I have no background in programming, so this is very difficult for me. thanks

#32     Jul 6, 2006
  3. ess1096,
    I also want to be able to use excel for my trading. One example of a spreadsheet that i like is $costaverageman spreadsheet. It offers alot of information on a single page. This is an example of what a trader may find helpful.
    P.S. Thanks to $costaverageman for sharing his spreadsheet .
    I tried to attach his spreadsheet but I don't know if it worked. If it didn't , look up his name and it is in the want to share thread numerous times.

#33     Jul 6, 2006
  4. I'm afraid not! I started out by playing with Excel on my own and then I read a couple of books - I find I'm too impatient for videos. In books, I find John Walkenbach is consistently good.

This looks fun though:
    http://www.mrexcel.com/podcast.shtml

Suss

#34     Jul 6, 2006

5. It worked great. thanks for sharing this. This is lot more detailed than i expected. I could have never come up with some thing like this if I tried for the next ten years. Im gonna try to make one based on this and see if it works out. Do you know if this can download the stock prices from the web or do u have to enter all the information manually. Thanks again

#35     Jul 6, 2006
  6. Don't use it, but it is a start for an outline for an Excel example.

#36     Jul 6, 2006
  7. sus,
    Thanks for the quality info. This is much needed help. Now I have to spend some time and get to it.
    Thanks, Tony

#37     Jul 6, 2006
  8. ess1096

ess1096

Tony,

Thanks for that link. So I suppose the answer to my question is..... Excel can help organize and make sense of a huge amount of data related to your stocklist.

I wasn't sure if that was it or if it had some sort of formula tool that figured trends or some other data. Thanks again.

#38     Jul 7, 2006
  9. txuk

txuk

This has little relevance to retail traders but some may find it interesting to see what MSFT is pushing to the big guys...

Microsoft Showcases Modeling and Trading Platform of the Future
    Linking Excel Services with Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003, Microsoft demonstrates how to turn Excel into a strategic trading platform built on high-performance computing.
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jun06/06-20HPCExcelServicesPR.mspx

#39     Jul 8, 2006