How Does Excel Help Traders?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ess1096, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Excel is an integral part of my trading, not just a place to store statistics...

#21     Jul 5, 2006
  2. I have no idea how to code and know little bit about excel. I would like to keep track of my trades and p&l and trading stats with excel. Does anyone have a template how to do that or tell me where i can learn how to do that. any help would be appreciated thanks.

#22     Jul 5, 2006
  3. First this one...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735615187/104-9966211-5157568?v=glance&n=283155

Second this one...
    https://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5163.asp

cj...

:)

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

#23     Jul 5, 2006
  4. txuk

txuk

I tried it and rolled-back too. I strongly recommend NOT installing this beta on your trading machine... it caused numerous system slow-downs and crashes on the computer I ran it on (Outlook had the most problems, followed by excel). At first glance the apps have a crisp new look to them, but the tradeoff is they have replaced the menu that we have become so familiar with over the past decade with the "ribbon", which is a combination of the menu and toolbar but takes up a lot more screen space. The kicker... the new file formats are not backwards compatible! You can save docs to the 2003 format but will get warnings about losing features. I will likely take another look once they have a release candidate, but in the mean time I didn't find any compelling reasons to stick with the beta.

#24     Jul 5, 2006
  5. cc2trade

cc2trade

Hardly. MS is pure patchwork!

Perhaps the users here have experience with other data base management software (DBMS) more ideally suited to stocks?

I have written apps in both Access and Excel but they are not ideally suited to the market wiithout significant !!! development effort. I have reviewed the software reviews on Elite, but how about some of the shareware programs available...?

any suggestions ?

#25     Jul 6, 2006
  6. To be honest I think it comes down to sitting down with a book or video, following the instructions and working through the examples. If you need assistance, there are usenet groups that are very helpful. For something as potentially complex as Excel (you CAN start small and simple!) there aren't really any shortcuts, especially if you're using it for something as important as your P&L and trading record. On the other hand, it will not be wasted effort. Excel skills are worth having.

Suss

#26     Jul 6, 2006
  7. Excel does not do anything. It does not scream out buy or sell or make trading decisions for you. It is just a spreadsheet tool. It is up to you to decide what you can use Excel for, not demand to know how Excel can help traders.

People are always looking for tools to do for them. A hammer will not build a house, you have to actually learn how to use it and bang the nail into the wood yourself. Otherwise the hammer just sits there in your toolbox doing nothing.

Learn what the tool does and then decide for yourself if it is something that is helpful to you or not. If yes, figure out how. If not, then put it back in the toolbox. No need to use just because you think everyone else is. We all have a fear that we are missing out on a tool if others are using it and we are not. Pick up the hammer, figure out what it does and see if you need it or not :D

I have done everything from calculating yield curves, running Monte Carlo simulations, option pricing models and trade model testing on EXCEL. It has a lot of uses if you know how to use it but and allows for lots of programming and charting and testing.

#27     Jul 6, 2006
  8. ess1096

ess1096

Wow! Nice rant. Obviously I was misunderstood. I didn't demand anything, nor was I looking for anything or anyone to do something for me. I was just wondering what it was Excel did with a stocklist that was of use. I already know that Excel is a spreadsheet program, I just don't know how to use spreadsheet programs or what good they are. Hence the question.

#28     Jul 6, 2006
  9. I think what OC was implying was that if you don't already know what to do with a stock list, then all Excel will do is help you stare at it.

Figure out what you want to do to the list mathematically, then figure out how to have excel do it for you.

#29     Jul 6, 2006
  10. Can you recommend a video?

#30     Jul 6, 2006