How does Citibank have a 'profit' in a quarter it gets a welfare check?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by swtrader, Mar 10, 2009.

1. :D

So true!

#31     Mar 11, 2009
  2. itsame

itsame

To answer your question. Kind of. Because of deffered tax assets, the government doesn't recieve any new taxes from them but will receive them sooner the more profit they turn

The other side of the coin. Yes because they will be able to pay their dividend obligation for the TARP money.

Win for Citi, Win for Citi stock and stake holders, Win for America.

#32     Mar 11, 2009
  3. Jachyra

Jachyra

I have no idea what your point is other than the fact that doing business in India and Asia is somewhat dicey. If I cared enough to think about it long enough, I would probably contribute that to lack of proper regulation and oversight, but if you want to chalk it up to Indian's being inherently shady that's your right I suppose... although it does mean that you've allowed your personal experiences with a small select group of Indians to affect your opinion of an entire race of people... which I think is actually the definition of prejudice... but its clear you're not alone.

Now Vikram Pandit, may or may not be a liar, but if he is, I assure you its because he's a liar and not because he's Indian.

#33     Mar 11, 2009
  4. wavel

wavel

I'm sure the tax payer is thrilled to hear this great news! :D

#34     Mar 11, 2009
  5. Well your obvious outrage is inhibiting your reading comprehension. That comes from my relatives. My experience with Indians is in the US, and it is similar. They are shady, and I have had a number of good Indian friends. Just a cultural thing, nothing more.

It's the same as saying that Russians drink a lot of vodka & Irish drink a lot of guiness. Prejudiced or racist, it's the truth.

#35     Mar 11, 2009
  6. Cutten

Cutten

You contradicted yourself in 1 paragraph. First sentence is an "untestable" assertion with no supporting evidence. Second criticizes something for not being testable.

FYI, all market strategies are testable simply by trading them repeatedly.

#36     Mar 11, 2009
  7. power

power

The biggest Indian company "Reliance industries" has been accused by the Iraqi government of acquiring business contracts through illegal activities. Reliance is into Oil refinery business and is worth $50 billion - $70 billion.

#37     Mar 11, 2009
  8. Daal

Daal

Of course my theory is testable. When paulson got the authority to buy fnm fre stock the market soared, we saw that over and over again. 125bps fed funds cut, BSC acquistion, C first Nov 08 bailout. Sometimes it works sometimes it fails.
    Capitulation is defined as a selling where people give up on big volume(investopedia). Well guess what low volume bottoms offer a BIGGER edge than high volume
    http://quantifiableedges.blogspot.com/2009/03/light-volume-bottoms-study-part-2.html

Now go ahead and say I'm debunking capitulation but not *your* definition of it

#38     Mar 11, 2009
  9. Jachyra

Jachyra

I'm not outraged... I could personally care less whether or not you're prejudiced... I just think its interesting how you're uncomfortable admitting it and keep coming up with creative ways to rationalize stereotypes as fact.

Of course my Russian girlfriend who has lived here in this country since 1984 and has never touched a drop of alcohol in her life wanted me to remind you that you forgot to mention that all Jews are cheap too.

#39     Mar 11, 2009
  10. Jachyra

Jachyra

And your point is???? Last I checked one guy here in the U.S. did that all by himself... and we have way more than just 1. But let me guess, you have some reason that makes sense to you why all americans or all american businessmen shouldn't be judged by the rotten few.

#40     Mar 11, 2009