How do you trade while at work?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kapama, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Most employee IT agreements do not allow tunneled ssh sessions running over the corporate network. The agreement might not specifically state it (it's probably covered with a broad clause), but you are still running significant risks. Hence, the cellular modem + laptop suggestion not being "useless".

#21     Oct 4, 2007
  2. As mentioned, this will get you in major trouble if anyone finds out about it. Not to mention that most IT departments worth a damn will have all of these methods blocked off by the firewall anyways - yes that includes GoToMyPC and all the other 'tunneling' type sites.

Best option, trade with IB using WebTrader which is accessible through a simple browser. If you are really SWING trading and not day trading, you should not care that much about Level 2 anyways. Another option is install IB's TWS on your home computer - research conditional orders and determine an order that you can submit which will initiate the position under desired conditions and place a stop and exit using an offset from the fill price when it fills. Every morning, you enter the orders before you go to work - if it fills then both your orders are active and your stop is in place to protect you from adverse behavior.

If something happens during the day where you want to close the position out before it hits either side, then login via WebTrader, cancel the open orders and enter a new order to exit the position.

#22     Oct 4, 2007
  3. TOM134

TOM134

kapama,

1) Try robotic trading through Interactive Brokers:

"...CoolTrade empowers traders to fully automate their strategies, from the simplest to the complex. The easy-to-use point and click interface provides hundreds of indicators for screening stocks and creating trading rules. No technical or programming knowledge is required. CoolTrade revolutionary Automated Trader then executes your strategies 100% on its own, buying, selling, and managing positions based on your profit goals. The system is the first of its kind to execute robotically, monitoring the market and trading all through the trading day. A Real-time Market Simulator is included to test during market hours. Traders will appreciate the leg up on the market with CoolTrade stealth-trading, profit protection, and fully robotic technologies...."

Customers comments:

* Enlight 2006-12-02 16:17:04 = "I turn it on in the morning and walk out of the house. It trades all day by itself. I love this system!"

* Sorak99 2007-01-01 13:48:34 = "Easy to use, accurate, real-time."

* BigBet 2006-12-11 12:58:45 = "See it run or have some fun. Either way - come back at the end of the day- and see how much you made. 100% automated - like go out of town automated."

* 1928gus 2006-12-08 13:15:40 = "Logically speakiing, this software makes sense for the small trader and day traders. You can't beat the price: streaming data and full automation."

https://www.cool-trade.com/Default.asp

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/poll/ibconsultants.php?progid=11&ib_entity=llc
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) Use IB's "Mobile Trader":

http://individuals.interactivebroke...highlights/PDF-MobileTrader.php?ib_entity=llc

3) Use IB's "Iceburg/Reserve" Orders:

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/orders/iceberg.php?ib_entity=llc

4) Use IB's "Hidden" Orders:

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/orders/hidden.php?ib_entity=llc

I hope this helps.

Tom

#23     Oct 4, 2007
  4. Wow, you guys really are making this way harder than he needs. He is trading a swing timeframe.

I'd get fired in a second for creating an tunnel and they've got it well blocked anyway. That suggestion is useless to anyone who values their current job.

To the OP, if your broker is any good they will have a bunch of ways to setup conditional orders that will allow the trade to be entered before going to work. How you choose to do it all depends on your style and how long after you leave to work that the market opens.

My broker's platform is java based and I can't access it from work, but they also have a web-based platform that I can open if I need to. Granted, the web-based is inferior to the java, but it would serve your needs well. If your broker doesn't offer that, then I would switch brokers.

#24     Oct 5, 2007
  5. nice sweater. :D

#25     Oct 5, 2007
  6. "Elitetraders" dont have other jobs, they ONLY trade. Why work for the man if you can pull serious cash out of the market consistently?

#26     Oct 5, 2007
  7. Undercapitalization. Everyone has to start somewhere.

#27     Oct 5, 2007
  8. kapama

kapama

Well, I have never used Level II or direct access before so help me out here.

This application for either Level II or Direct Access, is this on a web page meaning, can I toggle between my workpage and LEvel II byy Alt--Tab?

Or is it a complete application by itself like Java based and covers the whole screen like how it happens when you watch a movie on full screen?

Please advise.

#28     Oct 6, 2007
  9. simple. take your system, and trade European markets... :)

#29     Oct 6, 2007
  10. If you're a financial analyst the regulatory issues alone for you to trade are a nightmare. The compliance people at your firm would be all over you. You are required by law to forward them statements from all your personal accounts each and every month and they can do a search and find if you are hiding them. You would be immediately reprimanded or relieved for trading during the day.

Lets put some things to rest from several of your silly threads.

1) You're either not a f/a or you dont trade based on regulatory and compliance issues.

2) Your belief that there are fake bids and offers which you some how cant hit or take out also indicates you dont trade and have not done so.

3) You have essentially no trading plan at all. Buying a 5 dollar stock on monday with intentions of selling it on friday is not a plan.

4) If you were really a financial analyst, even for a firm who only worked on the sell side you'd know the answers to a lot of these meaningless questions you keep asking

5) Your obsession over being ripped off is just plain silly, if you were a f/a you'd know many houses who would execute your trades whom you could trust.

I see you're just playing a game here and there are a lot of decent people who have gone out of their way to try and answer your questions, no matter how silly they are.

Its about time you just stopped the charade.

#30     Oct 6, 2007