How do you trade while at work?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kapama, Oct 4, 2007.

1. kapama

kapama

I work as a financial analyst in a company, you know all day in front of the pc and joggle with numbers and ratios. I also have this trading system going on which by system shares has to be bought and sold within 1 week period.

As you may know by now, I am buying huge amounts sometimes exceeding 20K shares. As someone working fulltime this is really hard. I used to give market orders before the market opens-before I leave home for work- but now that I discovered that my orders are filled with whatever possible asks are out there, I wanted to find another way. ( I am new to the game)

I can buy and sell thru the pc at work but what I can not do is Level II or direct access. Because the web enabled one covers the whole pc screen and it is quite visible from outside. That leaves me the only option of Level I. But Level I only shows me best bid and best ask and I am suspicious about that.

Here are the options.

1) Using a blackberry. I hate blackberry and don't wanna buy one.
    and what makes it different than a pc?

2) Broker assisted trading. I like this one but I am not sure if broker will take orders like "hey don't buy all at once just slowly because it is 20K shares you know". Would this give me a cost advantage cuz I am only gonna pay $20 for the whole deal and better bids and asks I believe.

3) Web enabled Level II or direct access. Some kind of direct access that is on a web page not like a java screen which covers the whole screen. in other words, direct access on a simple web page not like all flashy and colorful. Does this exist?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. find someone that can place the orders for you.

3. GoToMyPC.com

4. timbo

timbo

If you trade 20 lots, there's no need to be a bean counter.

5. Move to Hawaii.

6. kapama

kapama

let's see

gotomypc.com will enable me to see my pc from work

But how would I do that? I work in a cubicle.

please explain

I can not move to Hawaii, too expensive

7. Right - you'll just have another screen open on your desktop. The price is fair and I've been using it for many years as an alternative to carrying around a laptop.

8. plugger

plugger

You're too HUGE for the market.

Here's what you do:

Buy a HUGE laptop. Put it on your HUGE desk inside your HUGE cubicle. As you sit in your HUGE chair, you can place your HUGE orders. After your HUGE orders are placed, you can sit back, rub your HUGE chin and stroke your HUGE ego. You can also think about the HUGE fake level 2 and what a HUGE player you are.

Good luck with your HUGE future.

9. Laptop with cellular modem. Don't use the old man's network.

10. If you are only swing trading on a weekly timeframe, just use limit orders to avoid the slippage issues you are referring to. You are making it much more difficult than it really needs to be. If you were daytrading it is a different story, but swing trades are easily entered before the market opens and your price is guaranteed.

#10     Oct 4, 2007