How do you top Palin's not knowing the "Bush Doctrine?"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I would much rather have Obama, who would ask countries like Spain and of course the UN if it's okay for us to attack someone who wants to destroy us and/or threatens the world economy.

#11     Sep 18, 2008
  2. Cmon, how many of us know the prime minister of all the countries? I bet most people on ET could not name the PM of Spain or Italy or even the President of Mexico. I do not expect leaders to have this stuff memorized, not like Spain is in the news every single day here in this country.

I am independent so no t taking a side but I do not expect McCain or Obama to be able to answer pop quizzes on world leaders.

#12     Sep 18, 2008
  3. That will come out in the debates.

#13     Sep 18, 2008
  4. If you listened to the piece, you'd hear that she wasn't quizzing McCain. She said the name Zapatero, mentioned that he is the prime minister of Spain, and asked McCain whether he would meet with him. McCain replied by saying that we will stop the drug trade, uphold democracy, and repeatedly referred to Latin America and "the hemisphere."

#14     Sep 18, 2008
  5. I do expect a leader to have all this stuff memorized. It's their job.

#15     Sep 18, 2008
  6. We got the ok from the UN for Afghanistan.
    We got the ok from the UN for first Iraq war.
    We didn't get the ok from the UN for second Iraq war.

Seems like it would have worked out perfect if we had listened to the UN every time.

#16     Sep 18, 2008
  7. Good point JB but we need a bigger sample. Well, McCain will see to that.

#17     Sep 18, 2008
  8. Two more data points:

Korea, oked by UN
    Vietnam, not oked by UN.

5 for 5 so far.

#18     Sep 18, 2008
  9. Yes I thought about Korea but couldn't decide whether or not we won that one.

#19     Sep 18, 2008
  10. We did what the UN asked us to do - to push communists back to the 38 parallel. We won if we stopped there. MacArthur went too far and got China involved. That prolonged the war for two more years and for one million more casualties with no practical gain (on either side) whatsoever.

#20     Sep 18, 2008