How do you think of the Market?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by J.Joseph, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I am curious, since there is such a wide range of traders here, how does everyone view the market. I mean, when I say the words, "The Stock Market" what's the first thing to pop into your head?

A. Businesses
    B. A mass of people
    C. Patterns of Price Movements
    D. Other (Explain)

I'm wondering what percentage of traders actually visualize a mass of people panicing in one direction or the other vs. visualizing the company they're trading and how it's fairing, or just see the patterns and don't think of the driving force at all. Honest opinions here. How do you view the market?

2. Personally, I like to think of the stock market like the sheep market. A herd of people who don't really know what's going on running back and forth like aimless creatures who are driven by the immediate actions of those around them. I don't feel that the profitability of Nike really drives Nike's stock, for example. It may have a small impact, especially if their dividends rise, but I think the stock prices move independently of the company's value.

3. ephemeron

4. Eight

Eight

I see it as a math problem, a data series on my screen... A few years back there seemed to be lots of traders that were seeing it as "evolution itself, you against every other trader in the world, dog eat dog..." and they seemed to be forwarding that idea to newbies or something... I always thought that was too stupid for words, if another trader is on a weekly timeframe and I'm intraday, his trailing stop could be my bread and butter...

5. Eight

Eight

I see it as a math problem, a data series on my screen... A few years back there seemed to be lots of traders that were seeing it as "evolution itself, you against every other trader in the world, dog eat dog..." and they seemed to be forwarding that idea to newbies or something... I always thought that was too stupid for words, if another trader is on a weekly timeframe and I'm intraday, his trailing stop could be my major trend...

6. market= random.

7. You missed the most important one ......

FEAST antonym of FAMINE

8. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

9. I have a certain fear of the market. It seems to be somehow incomprehensible to me in many ways. Maybe because I ignore a lot.

10. Nice one, SnakeEye.

Now you are rising to the occasion. This is the effect that deadbroke has on mere mortals.

:D :D :D :D :D

#10     Jun 30, 2011