How do you start a hedge fund

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by peterhill, Sep 27, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

Vulture,

Is this guy's initials JM by any chance? I also know of someone that fits very closely to that description...

nitro

#31     Oct 2, 2002
  2. Vulture,

Is this guy's initials JM by any chance? I also know of someone that fits very closely to that description...

nitro

No, actually, its not that guy...THis guy has had some success raising the money and is managing low seven figures...He landed one large account about 1 1/2 years ago and that gave him both the credibility and the size to attract further money...My impression is that the combination of slow and steady returns combined with a reasonably decent capital base definitely opens the door more quickly...Even so, this environment of mistrust, corporate swindlings has even the most trusting people becoming somewhat paranoid and asking ALOT of questions...

Vulture

#32     Oct 2, 2002
  3. Roger,

Thanks for the info. I had wondered about that but never bothered to research it. I know the futures guys consider the NFA audits to be a big pain.

#33     Oct 2, 2002
  4. LA ECHO

LA ECHO ECHOtrade

Anyone interested in starting a hedge fund can contact me. We have hedge funds that trade through us and we have contacts in the business that we can set you up with to help get it set up and administer it when it is set up. Interested parties can PM me for more info.

#34     Oct 4, 2002
  5. Can you also provide help on not going belly up?

#35     Oct 4, 2002
  6. mama

mama

Hi there;

This is question related to being a middleman, i.e. marketer of hedge funds to US high net worth individuals and institutions.

If someone has a marketing agreement with an onshore hedge fund (registered with SEC etc), and if in that agreements it is stated that the marketer for raising money for the fund will participate with X% of investment fees and perfmance fee...would that marketer (an individual in this case) be REQUIRED to be licensed (Series 7/63) and affiliated with a broker dealer...or would that individual be able to raise the money for hedge funds, get paid, and not be required to be registered...it seems to me this is a gray area...and your input would be greatly appreciated...

#36     Oct 4, 2002
  7. Invoco

Invoco

mama,

In the scenario you describe, the person would definitely need to be licensed (7 and 63) and registered with an NASD/SEC broker/dealer that is registered in each state where a prospective investor is contacted.

Be careful!

#37     Oct 4, 2002
  8. mama

mama

thanks Roger...if that person has both still valid licenses but is not currently associated with B/D...can he approach ANY broker dealer (even just a B/D such as daytrading firm)...to get associated in order to be able to perform independent marketing activity for hedge funds...what would be the procedure?.....your input is greatly appreciated...

#38     Oct 4, 2002
  9. Invoco

Invoco

Mama,

I just realized my last response to you was never posted. The answer is that you can approach any BD. However, that BD must be approved to do private placements.

#39     Oct 10, 2002
  10. It was big business for Bear Stearns, I think.

#40     Oct 10, 2002