How do you scale-in and why?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by fader, May 23, 2006.

1. fader

fader

as i mentioned above, i am looking at a different form of scaling-in, entering against the current price movement.

however, this second mention of scaling into trend has prompted me to take a fresh look at the Turtle rules.

it's very interesting, according to the rules, the Turtles scaled in equal increments and had the same stop loss for each scale-in piece.

so, they kept a constant level of risk for each scaled entry, which is what i am assuming as a goal, i.e. i am not seeing a rationale (or i don't have one) to increase / decrease risk (or risk / return for that matter) during the process of scaling.

hence, what i am concluding is that the goal is to keep a target level or risk (and/or risk/return) and then assume a probability distribution and solve for the scale-in size which maintains the desired level of risk.

#31     May 25, 2006
  2. fader

fader

you are considering only one type of probability, the probability of getting filled on a scale-in piece; i am also considering the probability of getting stopped out and the amount of stop loss which are all variable for each scale-in level.

one would have to assume a probability distribution and then model these variables, so far i have put together some preliminary scenarios but i am seeing only more risk from scaling-in at an increasing rate which seems to be what most people do;
    i'll have to look at some more material, there must be a problem with my logic.

#32     May 25, 2006
  3. Newc2

Newc2

Important thread.

If you have a problem in taking profits ie always taking profits too early, then scaling in makes a great positive difference to the end result. Not mathematically but psychologically.

By scaling in we are always looking to buy as opposed to sell.

#33     Feb 5, 2017

4. u should also focus on scaling out, exit price is more important thats entry price, in matter fact u can even make money from random entries if ur exits are good enough

#34     Feb 6, 2017
    murray t turtle and Newc2 like this.
  5. Interesting timing regarding the re-emergence of this thread. Similarly low levels of volatility in 2006 as now...a "drift up" kind of market, etc, etc...

#35     Feb 10, 2017
    Newc2 likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

This thread wins the award for oldest-one revived I think. Last post before Sunday was about 10 years 9 months ago. Bravo Newc2!

#36     Feb 11, 2017
    Newc2 and murray t turtle like this.
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

This is a good strategy only when you don't currently have the money to invest ie like retirement investing/401k. Scaling is not a superior tactic when trading.

#37     Feb 16, 2017
    Newc2 likes this.
  8. %%
    Good points, not that the Paul Tudor Jones quote is too much of a blanket statement.[ Losers average losers.]As you implied , use discretion, with any quote.I agree with much of your post, not that you would want to average down , @ the inflection ,when a bear changes in to a bull market, Buy1Sell 2.

My comments did not apply to any single stock, but large size mutual fund managers who get paid on the gross , average down all the time .LOL

#38     Feb 17, 2017
    Newc2 likes this.