How do you scale-in and why?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by fader, May 23, 2006.

1. Pabst

Pabst

Just be prepared for the risk of ruin. I'll be straight with you and others. If you keep with that kind of strategy and consistently nail the market, especially with leverage, you'll make some real $$$ off a modest stake. On the other hand you must realize you're playing Russian roulette. There IS a bullet with your name on it. And it could be as fatal to your fiscal future as the real bullet would be to your cranium. Just hit as many empty cylinders first as you can.

#21     May 24, 2006
  2. fader

fader

i think we differ on at least one important issue - it seems you are assuming that since it's gone lower, the chances of a bounce are higher... - as i mentioned in an earlier post, i am adhering to a statistical basis which assumes that the overall chances of a bounce are equal at best, irrespective of the price level.

#22     May 24, 2006
  3. jbt

jbt

Shameless self promotion but I go through a variety of scaling approaches in my book in Chapter 9.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471745936/ref=sr_11_1/103-9084900-9579027?_encoding=UTF8

For those not interested in buying Currency Trader magazine which is free is running that chapter in 2 monthly installments

http://www.currencytradermag.com/

Finally, someone posted "Never scale out". Can you elaborate why?

Since almost every successful intraday futures trader I've traded with has scaled out.

BTW the conclusion I arrive at is that geometric scaling in - 100,200,400, 800, 1600 will absolutely ruin you. However arithmetic scaling 100, 200, 300, 400 can work with HARD stops.

#23     May 24, 2006
  4. I must come back and discuss this current situation.....1st I rarely use margin....2nd By the time I had my full position, IIIN represented about 1.3% of my total portfolio.....This is a very reasonable position for me.....The point of the whole situation was Nobody can call the bottom, so why put in your full position today when it could go lower tomorrow....This was just an example of dollar costing a position...

3rd when the 31.10 position was put in the stock had a trailing P/E of 10 and a forward of 7....Quite cheap for a steel company that as long as the Highway Bill stays intact they will maintain growth...I do agree that just because it goes down doesn't mean it will bounce back, but it had come from 60 as a high a little over a month ago....I was buying it 49% off it's high....A little oversold!!!!

Now would I take these kinds of measures on a stock like HANS that has a P/E of 60....I think not....There were fundamental reasons for this position.....I'm not a crazy old man when it comes to doubling down...

$COSTAverageMAN

#24     May 24, 2006
  5. Kensho

Kensho

I posted this a while ago:

From "Speculation As A Fine Art And Thoughts On Life" by Dickson G. Watts (written around 1880):

#25     May 24, 2006
  6. In a very general sense, I feel scaling in does not provide much benefit.

Let's say you want to take on a position with 3 contracts. Without scaling in, the worst case loss is simply

Loss = 3 * Stop Loss Amount

However, as you are scaling in, your entries become farther into the position, and hence farther away from the stop loss. Your worst case stop can be much more than the above loss, assuming the profit target or stop-and-reverse point was never hit.

And yes, I understand that there will be times where the position will be stopped out with a favorable excursion less than the various scale-in locations, and these smaller losses will mitigate the effect of the larger losses accrued by a favorable position reversing itself into a loss.

This neutralizing effect becomes apparent when you backtest these types of entry techniques.

This is just what I have observed in my own research, others may find differing results.

RoughTrader

#26     May 24, 2006
  7. And at the risk of sounding foolishly arrogant, I will state that traders that claim that scaling out of positions should never be done simply do not know what they are talking about.

RoughTrader

#27     May 24, 2006
  8. Actually I feel that you should expect higher returns on the shares gotten that are the closest to the end price, assuming the end price is statistically significant. I mean the end price has to be way out there in odds of being hit. Say less then .1% of the time.

Let 1 equal the odds of getting hit. Find the additional move that will generate .5 the odds, then find the additional move that will generate .5 of that move. So 1x.5x.5. So small shares at 1, bigger shares at .5 and bigger shares at .25. The odds of being hit on the last shares need to be very low. Say .1% of so.

You find the increment to add at based on the moves that are half the prior move's probability. In other words don't use a method like add every dollar up etc.

John

#28     May 24, 2006
  9. fader

fader

here's how i look at the expected risk for each successive scale-in piece, it is equal to:

(i) probability of reaching a scale-in level (decreases for levels farther from the current price), multiplied by
    (ii) probability of hitting the stop (increases for levels farther from the current price), multiplied by
    (iii) the amount of stop (decreases for levels farther from the current price).

the first two probabilities are dependent on the underlying probability distribution.

assuming a log-normal distribution, i have looked at rough numbers which show that for scaling starting at 0-1 standard deviations from the current price and ending at ~1.5 standard deviations, to keep a constant expected risk level, the scaling should be done in roughly equal increments (actually, most of the scenarios show that the increments should somewhat decline initially and then increase back up but never be above the first scale-in increment; this is dependent on where the parameters are with respect to the shape of the bell curve...)

if one assumes some sort of a linear probability distribution, then the first two probabilities in the equation above may cancel each other out (i.e. as the likelihood of getting filled decreases, the probability of hitting the stop will increase by the same measure) - so the only remaining risk factor will be the amount of stop, in which case you'd end up with something like a geometric progression, i.e. if stop is 10 on the first scale-in, then the size is 10/10, if the second scale-in is at current price + 1, then stop is 9 and the size is 10/9, and so on, so the expected risk remains constant; this will produce a parabolic type progression.
    however, i agree with your conclusion, this model may place an extraordinarily high weight on the last scaled-in piece, and intuitively i'd think the risk of hitting the stop from that level will get disproportionately high...

however, i will take a look at the materials you have referenced, thanks a lot for providing the references and the input - all the best.

#29     May 25, 2006
  10. fader

fader

i made an omission in my opening post - there is counter-trend scaling-in vs. in-trend scaling-in (i believe also referred to as pyramiding into a trend) - they have somewhat different analytical frameworks, i am working on counter-trend scaling-in, i.e. entering at progressively more favorable prices.

#30     May 25, 2006