How do you plan for a side project?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, Nov 14, 2017.

1. It's almost a year now since I started working on both my job and my trading software during the same day. Several lessons I learned:

1) There's never going to be a better time than exhaustion after 12 hours of day job (8 hrs regular time, 1 hour lunch break, 3 hours commute). If you rest, you will indeed wake up refreshed in the morning, just in time for another 12 hours in the Gulag.

2) Rinse and repeat. After a while you figure out you'll either die in the Konzentrationslager or you gotta fucking find time for working on your exit.

3) Goto 1: the hours you put after the 12 you put for the Corporation are not, in any way, similar to the hours you put for the Corporation. If you don't get that, you'll die.

OK, that's my experience. Yours?

2. Overnight

Overnight

Be a trooper and work through lunch, that should give you an extra hour for the side project?

3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

OMG. Hilarious.
    This needs to be a Youtube video.

For me, though -- it's almost in the other direction:
    "trading" for umpteen million hours a day, 5-7 days a week, and then, starting in on
    Subaru brakes (calipers, rotors, pads, rusted wheel studs, all the way 'round)
    Boiler -- another winter limping along without this monstrosity of a house having central heat??? Rebuild, repipe, back-and-forth, back-and-forth, to the *various* plumbing supply places......
    Paint??? Whuzzat????

Etc etc.
    I have not had a night without seeing Black Scholes Merton equations, or (much more graphic) volatility/time/market surfaces in my dreams.......

But here's the thing: right now, for the first time in memory, it's "all about" me. And it's amazing what you can get done, when you mind your own chores firstly......

So, I guess, "I'm with ya!" but I'm also a happy warrior, too.

4. Overnight

Overnight

AhHA! A Subaru. That is your Achilles heel. I mourn you.

5. qxr1011

qxr1011

forget about the side project

trading is not something you do part time, unless it is a hobby

6. Well, Overnight, you've got the right name. You probably missed the "3 hours commute" part from my OP, but that's an interesting idea nevertheless.

7. >> trading is not something you do part time, unless it is a hobby

Trading exists because millions of troglodytes like me believe in it as their only means of redemption. And it's a hobby, of course, which I can drop anyday in the Gulag and start something else. Like my own Konzentrationslager (Corporation), afterall I know how they work.

8. Overnight

Overnight

If you work through lunch, you can't go home an hour early? That was the premise I was on about, 3-hour commute notwithstanding. It still gives you an extra hour when you get home. As for exhaustion? Drink Joltâ„¢ Cola when you get home. Like 10 cans of it.

9. I do both. Interesting that you noticed, actually not interesting since from now on billions of troglodytes will follow what I do and you thought about. Except for Cola, thanks God for Cola. If you don't drink it you'll pass out (on duties) when you get home. Drink too much (Like 10 cans of it) and you're dead. Happy drinking!

10. Overnight

Overnight

Hehe, I did not mention just any old cola, I mentioned the one and only...

[​IMG]
    :)

#10     Nov 14, 2017
    lawrence-lugar likes this.