How do you know when your strategy stop being profitable vs a short drawdown period?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jennywestwong, Feb 17, 2021.

1. rb7

rb7

Do you mean that your system is long-biased only?

#21     Feb 18, 2021
  2. No, my system can go long and short, it's just unfortunate that 3 days in a row it entered when there was a slight pullback, yet not enough to reaching my profit target.

#22     Feb 18, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

If you're in the zone, as you should be, then ultimately it will be your Inner Vision, your Gut, your Instinct, your Heart, your Spirit, your Third Eye, or whatever other name you have for that part of you that will essentially scream at you that there has been a reversal and your system needs to change immediately. Listen to that inner voice. Give thanks daily for the good things in your life. This simple action helps to nourish the inner voice.

#23     Feb 20, 2021
  4. %%
    Mainly depends on if its short or long/system\plan.
    I like to get paid every week more or less;
    but'' a few weeks profitable then changes'' may or may not tell us much.
    I closed out a TECS profit today; but thatt one has plenty of weeks its not profitable...................................................................................... 10 year$ is much better than 3 years/ which may not include a bull + bear market move.
    Good question; hope this helps \it helped me.

#24     Feb 23, 2021
  5. Dr_Trade

Dr_Trade

I think you can’t sit around one strategy although you have tested it for 1 year or 10. Considering the highest volatility in this market, according to me always be ready with plan B to cover the losses if gone against you. Use your skills to have better plans in such situations

#25     Mar 9, 2021
  6. %%
    I dont trade ES anymore, but I've seen Buy1 Sell2 [journal] make plenty of money/long term/drawdowns + short term trading ES.[So he is diversified on his timeframe+ risks small enough most likely for drawdowns not to bother his capital much ]
    I trade SPY/spxl, so its easy for me to figure out what his ES moves/trades are.
    Using concrete examples on stuff i trade with profits,like QQQ, a 1-3 day dip tends to be a buy/above 200 day moving average .SQQQ [inverse etf] which profits off bearish moves\ has never in its lifetime, averaged what % QQQ or TQQQ has. Did take some small inverse profits on a 3x inverse ETF today.
    On the charts \SPY,spxl, went down week of FEB 15,feb22. SO, no, if my longs lost money that week, i still know an uptrend edge when i see it.
    BUT Stock Traders Almanac book, helps; FEB + SEPT maybe down in QQQ, SPY[es].......FEB,SEPT were down plenty in past 3 years........
    Actually QQQ is easier to profit for me, than TQQQ, but i do both.

#26     Mar 19, 2021