How do you know if you're getting better at trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by igotbadbeat, Feb 19, 2008.

1. trader_david

Price movement is very repetitious and the same patterns appear very frequently on micro scale (30 sec, 1 min) charts on all liquid futures contracts.

Why don't you master trading just one pattern?

Of course you need defining criteria, but once you have that you can monitor yourself how close your performance is to the ideal. The money will come.

IMHO the faliure swing, when it breaks in the direction of the trend, is one of the easiest to spot and trade. You could start with that.

Best,

GC

#11     Mar 28, 2008
  2. JB3

JB3

P/L

That's the bottom line.

#12     Mar 28, 2008
  3. When you wife stops bitching at you for trading and starts to encourage you to trade more you know you have gotten better.

#13     Mar 28, 2008
  4. Quote from DblArrow:

Larry Williams - Long Term Secrets to Short Term trading

Linda Braske (don't know the spelling) and somebody Connor or O'connor can't remember but it had short term strategies.

Van Tharps - Trade your way to Financial Freedom.

Ouch - 3 errors in a row. You would come across as more reliable if you did your homework before posting...

#14     Mar 28, 2008
  5. Yeah thats what I'd like to know.

#15     Mar 28, 2008
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

You know you are getting better when your discoveries reach down to ever more fundamental truths in the problem space; when you are peeling back the layers of a problem to new understandings and more basic ideas.

You know you are getting better when your ideas lead you to bigger questions.

http://www.verticalsolutions.com/index.html

#16     Mar 29, 2008
  7. nlimit1

nlimit1

for asking this this is how I feel too

#17     Mar 29, 2008
  8. nlimit1

nlimit1

MAKE MORE MONEY WHEN YOU GET BETTER... PRETTY SIMPLE

#18     Mar 29, 2008
  9. moondog

moondog

yes i hear you... i have tried everything and it is simply very hard

#19     Mar 29, 2008
  10. ammo

ammo

the markets are a reflection of the global economy,the more confused they are on how to run the world ,the harder it is to trade,if you follow the news you will also be confused just thru sympathetic thinking, the more worry they portray, the more fear with each trade,that fear causes larger day to day gyrations,and more mental energy,it can be exhausting,i don't even have cnbc on anymore and it's improved my trading,when the spus are stuck in a 50 point range, 1360 -1310,its just harder to trade ,they were averaging 30 point ranges,this expanded and contracted and may expand again,we are stuck in a bottleneck while these banks and hedgefunds take each other out of they're positions,until that happens,if you are a small trader be happy with small profits and that you are still in business,these are tough mrkts to trade, be patient,stay in business,keep learning and you will know when you are getting better,what profession do you know of where you didn't improve with experience or improved without it.

#20     Mar 29, 2008