How do you know if it turns or continues???

Discussion in 'Trading' started by neo_hr, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Cesko

Cesko

"Sometimes, when looking at some of the errors I made, I think, even an ape may have made a better trader I was. "
    It reminds me myself.LOL

#11     Oct 23, 2001
  2. Hi Mispe

I quitted Qcharts many months ago due to their consistent data / server problems and lack of respondance to complaints ( no reply is also a reply ).

I still stay to my point, that Qcharts and in particular Ravenquote are great RT applications, but with lot's of data-outages it is not worth the money and the stress.

I used QQL in the past and was not so happy with the limited options / functions compared to Qcharts. However, their quote service was very reliable - so I stayed with them and made several proposals to upgrade QQL's functions - among others having the ability to draw S/R and trendlines on a chart, group all kind of open windows to a quote-list - so that windows ( charts etc. ) change as soon as I click on another symbol, a better market scanner - not only displaying lists of daily volume and %age leaders and so on.

Well - Qcharts didn't react on complaints regarding their data-service , but QQL reacted very quickly on my suggestions and in Version 3.02 all of the desired features are there !!
    Put this together with a reliable data-service and the very reasonable price and you know, why I decided to stay with QQL.

TP realtime : No I don't work with the RT version, since the current beta supports only Qcharts datafeed. I do very little intraday-trading anyway, so the EOD version is currently sufficient for my needs.

I have other tools to determine sectorstrength and the market heatmaps can also be found on www.nasdaq.com and www.smartmoney.com

regards

#12     Oct 23, 2001
  3. Mispe

Mispe

Thank you Privateer.
    Very useful help as usual.

What about stocks scanner real time ?
    Speaking about the Tony Oz Bottom fisher, or the GNP, the idea is to catch the move real time the day of the reversal !
    As you cannot get the genuine Tony Oz scanner without being subscriber of RealTick, is there another solution ?

Regards
    Good afternoon !

#13     Oct 23, 2001
  4. neo_hr

neo_hr

I second that Mispe! I mean, I decided to try focusing solely to Bottom fisher and Skyscraper setups and master them as I dont want to get dispersed on a lot of stuff and become the Jack of all trades... well, you know the rest.

So, NOT being able to pay like 300$/mo, is there a fgood scan to find those intraday? Multexinvestor has this scanner where you can write your own instructions but doesnt offer closing price (only H, L) ?? By the way, would MarketScreen allow to set thoose two setups in?

Someone who has like 100 000$ can afford best tools of the trade and make MORE money and somebody with 10 000$ heh...can only loose it rapidly ironic isnt'it?!:mad:

Good trading today!
    ALex

P.S. Yes Privateer, QQL is a wonderful program although it would be great if we could retrieve EOD data from the server, analyze it offline and SAVE studies on it (trendlines, S/R etc.) - im not sure if it can be done, correct me if Im wrong. And Why dont they have streaming charts? 5min updates every 5 min. I would vote Quotetracker if it only had multiday-intraday charting

#14     Oct 23, 2001
  5. NEO, actually, QQL has streaming charts and also offers the possibility to download all kinds of quotes. If you use 5 minutes, a new candle or bar will created only after 5 minutes of course. That's why they are called 5 minute charts.
    But the price display on the right site of the chart changes with every tick. To see pre - and aftermarket quotes in the chart, you'll have to click on the little icon showing the moon.You may have also change the chart settings to continuus update. - Check out the manual for that.

Export :
    Just simply choose the chart of the symbol you want to export , rightclick on the chart. The menu will show the export function. It exports all data currently displayed in the chart.

If you choose the 2 years daily, you get 2 years of daily data, if you choose the 8 years weekly, you'll get 8 years of weekly data.

I strongly suggest, to read the manual carefully, QQL offers quite a bit of options and includes already a RT scanner for certain basic technical signals ( i.e. MA crossovers etc. )

For what concerns Marketscreen - it's probably one of the best webbased RT scanners - giv'em a try and find out what you can do with it.

#15     Oct 23, 2001
  6. Mispe

Mispe

Hello Privateer

I visited marketscreen.com and it seems very useful but is it possible to use it to screen according to customized parameters as the ones you mentionned in one of your old post (i.e 3 or 4 succesive down days, volume > 30 days average etc...)?
    and eventually get the kind of selection needed for bottomfisher ?

Regards

#16     Oct 23, 2001
  7. Harry

Harry

@neo_hr
    @all

Well, I think that's not a bad question. Sure, Nicodemus is right, when he states
    But I think you should go somewhat deeper. I think as there are are lot of setups coming in over the day (see http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=2660 - sorry for the little "ad" :) ) it is very important to learn about the additional criteria Tony uses for these setups (like BBs, 50DMA, Volume, ...). I think these are very important point to figure out if it will "turn or continue".

Harry

#17     Oct 23, 2001
  8. neo_hr

neo_hr

you nailed it Harry! Thx man!

#18     Oct 23, 2001
  9. Harry

Harry

My pleasure for a (european) fellow trader :)

Hope there will be some discussion ...

Harry

#19     Oct 23, 2001
  10. MISPE, I don't know how much you can customize the MS scans. I know, that their selectionlist of criteria and parameters for to use in a scan is quite extensive - so the best way to check it out, is to subscribe for a trial ( if they still offer it ).

you can find some free RT scans on www.tradetrek.com

they offer RT pattern scanning - as far as I recall.

P.S. I'll be off for a week now - travelling to Ireland.

CU later.

regards &

#20     Oct 23, 2001