How do you keep your trading log / diary?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by InTheZone, Apr 10, 2002.

1. You can download something like Paint Shop Pro from www.download.com. It's much better than paint and will let you convert to gif.

Voodoo

#11     Apr 12, 2002
  2. Please explain why these statements are wrong based on what I previously said:

Thus, when it comes to size .bmp > .jpg > .gif

Simply, .jpg is NOT ONLY for pictures taken with a camera.

For example: I just quickly open my Quote.com QCharts and saved my workspace in 2 formats...BMP = 1,831kb, JPG = 519kb then converting the JPG with an image-editor into a GIF = 114kb

Therefore, keeping it simple...how is ".jpg not for graphics?

when the image is obviously generated via QCharts using the "Export Workspace".

Maybe your talking more technical and I'm only talking about what my trading platform actually produces.

Nihaba Ashi

#12     Apr 12, 2002
  3. Does anyone have a good "screen shot" program that will save what's showing on the screen (like a time stamped view of redi plus)...preferably in the smaller file format...but all I would like to do is save the screen, not big images.

#13     Apr 12, 2002
  4. swampfox

swampfox

#14     Apr 12, 2002
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

www.snagit.com use it for 3 years, so easy to use that I havn't read the help file yet.

#15     Apr 12, 2002
  6. echo

echo

Both formats are for storing graphics/images. The difference is that .jpg uses a lossy compression method and .gif uses a non-lossy compression method.

Many graphics programs allow you to adjust the level of compression (i.e. loss) when saving .jpg images. Ultimately the difference you may run into in a .jpg vs .gif file of an image with many solid and straight lines like a stock chart (or any image, even photos) is that the .jpg might end up looking blurry at higher compression levels because .jpg files throw out some data to save space. .gif files don't throw out data, so they will always look exactly like the original image.

#16     Apr 12, 2002
  7. You can just use "Prt Scr" button to save your desktop and then paste it into Word or other documents. You can save windows individually, by pressing ALT - Prt Scr, this will save the active window, also paste it anywhere.

#17     Apr 12, 2002
  8. Please explain why these statements are wrong based on what I previously said:

Simply, .jpg is NOT ONLY for pictures taken with a camera.

I already did. Again, for photographic images jpg will produce smaller files than gif. For graphics created on your computer gif will produce smaller files than jpg. Also, jpg will reduce the quality of graphics created on your computer, while gif will most likely reduce the quality of photographic images( your conversion program might automatically reduce the number of colors.) Therefore:

GIF IS FOR GRAPHICS
    JPG IS FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGES

Since it looks like you aren't going to believe me :), I searched for some info on this for you using google.

http://www.azertech.com/ttm/bcb/faq-misc-graphic-formats.htm

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/44

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/geektalk/97/30/index3a.html?tw=design

Voodoo

#18     Apr 12, 2002
  9. Echo,

I notice that too.

For example, if I use my image screen-capture program and save the image directly in GIF format.

No blurry. Yet, if I use my QCharts program and do an "Export WorkSpace"...it saves it as a JPG format which I later convert into GIF format.

Comparing the two...the coverted JPG--->GIF format is blurry whereas the straight GIF format via my screen-capture looks like the original.

Yet, both (converted format & unconverted GIF) are suitable for my needs.

Nihaba Ashi

#19     Apr 12, 2002
  10. echo

echo

If both are suitable to your visual tastes and file size expectations, then use whichever format you want. All formats have strengths and weaknesses. There is no "you must use format x for images of type y", unless the format you chose is physically incapable of storing the image for some reason (generally a color depth, transparency, or layer issue, in which case the color depth, etc. is normally just reduced).

#20     Apr 12, 2002